New Killifish Tank

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

adsturgeon

Reaction score
Hi,

I am thinking of buying a new 75l tank and having it as possibly a kilifish tank. Now the thing is I don't know a thing about Kili's apart from they are small :drool: Anyways are different species compatible and what not and any general advice on setting this tank up as information seems to be scarce on the internet?

Thanks! (Also would like advice about tank mates)

You can put multiple species in one tank, but not for breeding. They hybridize easily which is frowned upon.

You dont need a 75 litre tank to keep killifish in, whilst most of them are small sp. there are some huge varieties but most are rare unless you know where to look or have the necessary contacts.
Please be more specific on what you are trying to achieve community tank or species tank, breeding or non breeding
any more relevant information would make me better placed to advise you further.
Regards
BigC

I just want it as maybe a species tank with perhaps some coryodoras and maybe a male betta? (If they are compatible, I presume cory's are). I'm not too fussed about breeding just a general planted tank. Would a 75litre be too big or too small?

I personally would ditch the male betta option and go for Epiplatys dageti Monroviae for the surface and a species such as a pair/trio of Aphypsemion australe, Aphyosemion striatum or Fundulopanchax gardneri species. You have chosen Corydoras sp. already for the substrata.
Regards
C

Im in the same position.

Can you just leave Killifish in their and they will breed, hatch and develop themselves or would I need to take the eggs out and produce them myself (for lack of a better term)??

My first killis were a hareem of Golden Wonders, bought in mid summer. The male was continually "harrassing" the females while they were in the Rio240, with most of my other fish at the time, just before I setup the 540l. Over the last two weeks, just three fry have let themselves be known, but there could be hundreds for all I know hidden amongst the Red Root Floater plants. However, its more likely that many eggs were eaten by the killis themselves and/or other tankmates at the time, before the mass evacuation to escape the spiteful Lionhead Cichlid parents.

Must admit that I thought that mixing different species was a really bad idea, as the males of each species in particular would fight to the death... But perhaps that was a very sweeping statement I read on the internet!

I've since acquired 12 Aphanius mento (Persian Killis) at a rediculous price of £15 in total from the Festival Of Fish Keeping, who very soon will get a species only tank, for the sake of any potential tankmates! These fish have really nasty reputations as they get older, being known to kill fish many times their size, including cichlids!
blink.gif

Is that all Killis or just the type you have purchased.

From the research iv put into them (admittedly not much as I only 'discovered' them two days ago) I was led to believe they are a peaceful fish well suited to community tanks.

:S

You probably acquired your Aphanius sp. from Tim at TDC Aquatic at the show. Have a word with Ricefish... on this forum for more information on European killifish husbandry, he deals predominately with these type of hard-water less temperate species. I too have acquired Aphanius mento (Zengen,Turkey) they are still fairly small and are housed in a species tank. Hopefully in the spring they will be going outside in a small pond as they are quite hardy
Regards
C

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back