New Kid on the Block

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

Warren D

Reaction score
Hey all, I am glad I found this site!!! I am using albino tetra's as my starter fish, so far so good. The dude at the store told me to add salt to the aquarium(35 gallon fresh water tropical). The box says it is not filtered out so with water replacements I add more salt??? I think I get this but am afraid to set off the chemistry. I am a ER nurse and feel like I am doing blood gasses for my fish. Pretty cool stuff.
Warren

first things first... do not add salt. if u have added do not add anymore!!! tetras are not very tolerent of salt. u may wanna read alien anna's thread on cycling at the beginner questions section

You don't need to use salt at all unless you have a salt water aquarium. Tetras will not tolerate salt very well if at all.

Are you cycling with fish? I don't recommend it because you will end up stressing your fish if not losing all of them. And if that happens, you have to treat all those problems and then upset the balance of your tank.

Now, that I've said all that......if you are cycling with fish, I would recommend getting some BioSpira. It has live cultures of Nitrobacter which will help cycle your tank faster and utilize the ammonia in your tank.

Also, do you have test strips to monitor your tank water? (Just like the ones the lab uses) A 5 in 1 strip will test nitrites, nitrates, pH, alkalinity, and water hardness. You can also get one for ammonia.

Most reactions

Back