New Juwel 180 - A Blank Canvas

Le Sorcier

Fish Crazy
Joined
Oct 8, 2007
Messages
351
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Hi guys,

Finally got my Juwel 180 with background fitted :)

Will soon be transferring my current fish (4 Cories, 2 Platys, 2 Mollies, 1 Endler), and then gradually adding some friends to keep them company.

I am going for sand as a substrate and would like to add real plants (any suggestions welcome). Just enough to provide plenty of cover as I don't want too many. Am happy to use fake rock/wood if anyone has any good suggetions where to buy/order some?

As for fish, I am set on getting....

1 Red Tailed Black Shark
5/6 Chain Loach (don't think its fair to go for Clowns however much I want them)?
7/8 Harlequin Rasbora
3/4 more Corys

then any from the following if its appropriate?

2 Kribs (pair?) or similar suggestion?
5/6 Pentazona Barbs?
1 small Plec (no idea what type?)
3/4 Otos
1/2 Gouramis if possible?
1 Angelfish? (maybe not with my sole Endler?)
2 Rams (pair?)

Many thanks in advance :)
 
It would appear not... Disappointing I know.

I personally like the 2nd grouping, but I am thinking of getting Gourami or/and Rams myself. I believe that Oto's can be quite difficult/sensite so it might be an idea to leave them til the end to give your tank time to mature.

Not sure if the shark would be too aggressive for all the smaller community fish.

Hopefully some one with some actual knowledge will come along and comment. ;)
 
Personally, I love the real planted look now - wouldn't go back to fake ones. I've got a rio 180 as well and have planted along the back, and a few at the sides just to give that more cover for fish that like it.
Obviously they'll grow, but that's what I'm going for.

Any good LFS will sell wood and rock, which go really well with the plants.

As for stocking, I'm just getting used to building up a community again but here goes..

Definitely up you're cories to at least 6.
Are you're platy's and mollies male or female? You need a ratio of 1 male to 3 females, otherwise the male(s) will just harras the female(s)

Can't comment on the red tailed shark, don't know enough about them. Don't know much about the loaches either I'm afraid.
On Kribs, in general people pick out a pair or you could go for Bolivian Rams, something along those lines - I know rams are peaceful in general which would be good for you're livebearers don't know if Kribs are more aggressive.
I'm not a huge fan of barbs, too much nipping from all of them!
Plec wise, Bulldog plec or Bristlenose those are two of the smaller varieties.
I'm going for Angels in my tank, along with three gouramis(never had a problem before, Angels have always seemed very docile in my tanks but I do provide a lot of hiding for fish if they want to).

But I THINK you might be better of scrapping the livebearers if you want to go down the cichlid root. Don't quote me on that, I've never kept them together before.

My current stocking plan, btw is...

2 MAYBE 4 angels, depending on how it goes. Plan to get babies and see how they pair up.
3 x Honey Gouramis
6 x Peppered Corydora
2 x German Blue Ram/Bolivian Ram
Shoal of some kind of tetra
 

Most reactions

Back
Top