New ideas for 20 gallon high tank. Any comments?

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

cowgirluntamed

Fish Herder
Reaction score
20 gallon high is 24 long x 12 wide x 16 tall.

Current stocking right now is 13 black neon tetras and 1 male guppy. Lots of snails. Planted(or trying to be lol). My floating salvinia minima is awesone.

Anyway....I recently added 7(for a total of 8) harlequin rasboras to my 55 gallon where my glowlight tetras are. And the dynamic of the tetra behavior has changed. This is the first time I've ever had harlequins. But I absolutely love my glowlights.

One idea....just catch the rasboras and add them to the current 20 gallon as is. OR....take the black neons and guppy to the lfs and just make it a rasbora tank. I still also want to add some panda cories as well.....

Do you guys think the rasboras would be too hyper for the black neons like they are for my glowlights? They aren't scared exactly but are staying more lower and not coming out like they used to. The black neons seem more sedate than I remember them to be too and I'm not exactly satisfied with them in the 20 gallon.

Your water hardness may be factoring in here, as you have moderately hard water if memory serves me from older threads. (?)

I suggest this because I do not consider harlequin rasboras "active" fish, quite the opposite, and glowlights and black neons the same. Cardinal and neons are also sedate fish. None of these are "playful" active swimmers which is why they work so well with truly sedate fish.

20 gallon high is 24 long x 12 wide x 16 tall.

Current stocking right now is 13 black neon tetras and 1 male guppy. Lots of snails. Planted(or trying to be lol). My floating salvinia minima is awesone.

Anyway....I recently added 7(for a total of 8) harlequin rasboras to my 55 gallon where my glowlight tetras are. And the dynamic of the tetra behavior has changed. This is the first time I've ever had harlequins. But I absolutely love my glowlights.

One idea....just catch the rasboras and add them to the current 20 gallon as is. OR....take the black neons and guppy to the lfs and just make it a rasbora tank. I still also want to add some panda cories as well.....

Do you guys think the rasboras would be too hyper for the black neons like they are for my glowlights? They aren't scared exactly but are staying more lower and not coming out like they used to. The black neons seem more sedate than I remember them to be too and I'm not exactly satisfied with them in the 20 gallon.

Your water hardness may be factoring in here, as you have moderately hard water if memory serves me from older threads. (?)

I suggest this because I do not consider harlequin rasboras "active" fish, quite the opposite, and glowlights and black neons the same. Cardinal and neons are also sedate fish. None of these are "playful" active swimmers which is why they work so well with truly sedate fish.

Yes, I do have moderately hard water and unfortunately love the tetras. Lol. Though I'm trying to stay with the more adaptable species. I wouldn't call the glowlights active per say.....but they didn't just stay in one corner. The rasboras just seem like to go back and forth a lot and are faster than the glowlights. They don't seem to like it.

I had the black neons with glowlights before and the same thing happened. The black neon were too much for the glowlights. But I had an HOB instead of a sponge filter and also a bad ratio to male female of the black neons. So that may have played a roll.

Just a bit of an update and to clarify the behavior. I wouldn't really call these fish hyper. but they are not as sedate as the glowlights. They have their moments of zippiness but it's not constant. I do think I'm going to try them with the black neons and see how it goes. Then I just need a lot more glowlights for the big tank! Lol

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back