New here

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

jemscfc

Reaction score
Hi Iā€™ve never posted before.
I am a relative beginner, having a modest size tank with 6 platys mixed gender.
All fish are doing well, one has even given birth (I believe she was pregnant when I brought her home).
But today one of the fish is acting very odd swimming at the surface constantly.
Does anyone know why he/she is doing it? Sorry Iā€™m not sure if itā€™s gender. I can spot females when they are pregnant but struggle if they arenā€™t.

Attachments

• C4F7295E-EC0C-40FF-B31D-E8BF1E777736.jpeg
    C4F7295E-EC0C-40FF-B31D-E8BF1E777736.jpeg
    146.6 KB · Views: 48
:hi:

Could you fill this out please. Usually things like this are an overstocking/water quality/lack of oxygen problem. There's no judging here, we just need the details below.

Tank size:
pH:
ammonia:
nitrite:
nitrate:
kH:
gH:
tank temp:

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior):

Volume and Frequency of water changes:

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank:

Tank inhabitants:

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration):

Exposure to chemicals:

Digital photo (include if possible):

The more information we have, the more likely we'll be able to help

Re the sex of the platies, look at the anal fin. That's the one on the underside of the fish right in front of the tail. With females and immature males, the fin is the usual triangular fan shape. In mature males, this fin has changed to a rod shape.

I found this internet pic useful to sex platy. Hard to know what's up without more info.

Attachments

• 892a9229d51fcab160687cad9f9e7990.jpg
    892a9229d51fcab160687cad9f9e7990.jpg
    6.9 KB · Views: 38
Hello and welcome to the forum :hi:

Itā€™s either water qualities problem or lack of Oxygen in the water
Can we have more information of the tank?

Tank size: 90l
pH: 7.2
ammonia: 0
nitrite: 0
nitrate: 60 (!)
kH: 40
gH: 100
tank temp: 25-26Ā°

Fish Symptoms (include full description including lesion, color, location, fish behavior): no lesions, white with orange flecks, swimming at the surface, not being very sociable but moves down when I fed them.

Volume and Frequency of water changes: 10% change weekly, last done Wednesday

Chemical Additives or Media in your tank: sponge and bio media, UV light. Tap safe, algae prevent

Tank inhabitants: 6 platys, at least 1 platy fry, around 10 snails (grrrrr I hate them )

Recent additions to your tank (living or decoration): 1 fry

Exposure to chemicals: none

so it seems nitrates are worrying and I need to get them down. The rest of the tank seem extremely happy and even this fish is happy when eating.
Iā€™ve no idea which fish gave birth, I came home earlier and spotted a little fry amongst the plants.

Do water change ASAP

donā€™t do 10%, Do 50-75% water changes weekly

Do 75% daily water changes for the time being.

I found this internet pic useful to sex platy. Hard to know what's up without more info.
Thanks for this. I have read up about the different shapes of fins. I have a white platy who Iā€™m certain is male, and about 3 which Iā€™m certain are female. The others it doesnā€™t seem as clear right now. Possibly they are much younger.

The nitrates definitely suggest you need a big water change. Also your water looks too soft for Platy. They need hardness of 179ppm-537ppm. Your water is 100ppm.

You need to up those water changes in terms of litres. I changed mine weekly-weekly and half and do 75% on each.
Also do a water change regarding the nitrates. Nitrates aren't as dangerous as nitrites and ammonia but you shouldn't become complacent regarding them either.

The nitrates definitely suggest you need a big water change. Also your water looks too soft for Platy. They need hardness of 179ppm-537ppm. Your water is 100ppm.
Add crushed corals or seashells to raise the hardness (get it from the beach if itā€™s legal)

Thanks for this. I have read up about the different shapes of fins. I have a white platy who Iā€™m certain is male, and about 3 which Iā€™m certain are female. The others it doesnā€™t seem as clear right now. Possibly they are much younger.
The suggested ratio is 1 male to 2 or 3 females to spread out the aggression. My experience has been that the male's sole focus is impregnation :rofl:

They don't do well in softer or acidic water.

More useful information here -

A few people suggesting bigger water changes. Iā€™ll do one now. I was only doing 10% on advice from the store I got them from, but this is also the store that sold me plants covered in snail eggs. Thanks for all the replies.

This is a lovely idea as it would also look nice in the tank. However I couldnā€™t live further from the beach
You could buy it from your LFS (local fish store) or order it from Amazon or Ebay.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back