New guppies, babies already?

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Naj14

Reaction score
Hi there,
I'm new to this forum so please forgive me if this is in the wrong category. I just bought 6 guppies, 4 females and 2 males, around 5 hours ago. Within an hour of releasing them into the tank, I have found 4 fry. I was planning on eventually breeding them so the fry isn't an issue. However the fry are unbelievably small and have red areas on their underside. I was just wondering if it is possible that the stress of being sold and coming to a new tank, could have caused my females to birth prematurely? If these have been born prematurely, do the fry even stand a chance of survival or should I release them back in with the adults, to allow nature to take its course? I had been hoping to mate my females with my chosen males but although these fry have a different "father", I'd still like to give them the best chance if possible.
Thanks for taking the time to read all that!
Regards,
Naj

Yes, stress can cause miscarriages or premature births, but we can't tell without seeing, and I suspect the fry are too small for you to photograph well enough for us to judge!

But most fry are quite transparent and it's normal for them to look pink around the belly, so I'd give them a chance and see how they do; they may well be fine.

Unless you buy virgin females from a breeder, most livebearers are pregnant when you get them and, I don't know if you know this, but they can store packets of sperm from their last mating so, if you want to guarantee fry from your chosen males, you'll have to keep the females alone until they've stopped getting pregnant and producing litters from their 'reserves'.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back