New German Blue Rams - Help Sexing Please

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

gem222

Reaction score
Hi, 

I have bought two German Blue rams today from my LFS. They are my first venture into rams and are currently exploring my community tank. The LFS where I got them weren't very helpful in respects to sexing them so I was wondering if anyone of you could help?
I can see one has a definite reddish belly and therefore assuming it is a female. The other is a little smaller(so poss a juvenile?) but no red belly as yet. Hope the photos are good enough for an ID.
Many thanks in advance.
Gem.

Ram1.jpg

ram2.jpg

ram.jpg

hard to tell from the photos but i think you got 1 of each, awesome fish :D

Hi I have a couple of these fantastic fish :) There is a a few ways you can tell The blackdot on the side in the male it is just black , female is not totally black it has a couple of shinny scales of dif colour in there , head shapes are different from mouth to top , 1 is more long and pointy and other is more round , also the top fin there are 3 black before going coloured , the females is the first black fin is longer and rest bit shorter and the male is first is slightly shorter than the second. The pink belly can show signs of when going into breeding mode . hope this helps
cathy

I think they're both female.

The one with the pink belly definitely is; the other one has black on it's pectoral fins and curved (rather than pointed) rear corners to it's dorsal and anal fin, which are indications that it is a female too.

I would agree with FM and say you have 2 females,
smile.png

Thanks everyone!

They seem to be getting on fine together at the moment although they are in new surroundings so I will keep my eye on them for any territorial issues once they have settled in, would you recommend adding any males in the future or have any of you had experience of two females living happily together? I'm happy to leave them as they are for now if they will benefit but don't want to cause them any unecessary stress either way.

Again thanks for the imput.
good.gif

In fact, looking into it I only have a 120 litre tank so I think I may have answered my own question. Fingers crossed they stay friends!
smile.png

Most reactions

trending

Back