New fry identification

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

max22

Reaction score
cory fry.PNG
cory fry.PNG
Greetings, today I found some fry in my 20 gals which I am 90% sure weren't in there yesterday. I have 2 female balloon mollies that have been in my tank a little longer than a month so I'm pretty sure it is not a molly, the babies also spend a lot of time near the bottom which my guppy fry (comparable livebearers) do not do. I am assuming the fry are corydoras because that's the only other fish In the tank I have 6 male and female, but I am unsure. Attached is a picture if anyone can help me identify the babies and if they are corydoras then what are the care requirements.

P.S. There are little white specs I believe are eggs on most of my driftwood. I have nerites so I am assuming those are nerite eggs but I know corydoras also lay eggs so help on that would also be appreciated.

It's a baby livebearer, probably a molly. Baby livebearers will hang out by the surface when they are first born, and if there are lots of floating plants they remain there for a few weeks. If there are no floating plants they will move down into the tank and hide among the gravel or plants and ornaments.

You need some substrate on the bottom of the tank to get rid of the reflection and so the fish have a definite bottom.

The only two fish in the tank the fry were born in are balloon mollies and corydoras, and the mollies have been in the tank well over a month and they are both female so I was pretty confident they weren't molly babies. How are you so sure the fry is a molly? Due to there not being visual barbels? The tank I found them in had floating plants but I put them in The new 10 gals for a grow out tank, I have a week old guppy fry in the tank as well but they seem to be around the top and middle of the tank compared to the newer babies? Also, I have seen many breeders have bare bottom fry tanks due to it being easy to clean out uneaten food etc. It is also far easier to spot them without a substrate. I could see how no definite bottom could stress the fry though, is this a must? for they will be moved to bigger planted tanks once they have grown. Thank you so much I look forward to you're reply.

Female livebearers can carry up to 6 sperm packets from breeding with males and they use 1 sperm packet to fertilise each batch of eggs. The gestation period (from the time she fertilises the eggs to when she gives birth to free swimming babies) is about 1 month. After which she will fertilise another batch of eggs using another sperm packet. This allows female livebearers to produce young about once a month for up to 6 months without any males being present.

-------------------------
All fish should have something on the bottom to provide them with a definite bottom to the tank. Fish can't see glass and don't know what it is. Having no substrate allows fish to see their reflection in the glass but they are unable to go thru it.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back