FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

PheonixKingZ

Fish Guru
Tank of the Month 🏆
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Fish of the Month 🌟
Reaction score
Haven’t asked yet, but I am wanting to get new food for my betta. The food I have now is cheap, and is expired by 4 months! (Which I only noticed last night... :unsure:)

So what food do you guys feed your bettas? Not interested in live food, pellet preferably.

—————-

Since I’m going to be ordering off of Amazon.com anyway, what is the best water conditioner on the market? Is it that Seachem stuff? (Right now I’m using a cheap aloe Vera thingy, made by Jungle, called “Start Right”)

This stuff wasn’t important to me before, but it really is now. I want my bettas to have top quality food. (Already made the change over to Omega One for my neons)

Haven’t asked yet, but I am wanting to get new food for my betta. The food I have now is cheap, and is expired by 4 months! (Which I only noticed last night... :unsure:)

So what food do you guys feed your bettas? Not interested in live food, pellet preferably.

—————-

Since I’m going to be ordering off of Amazon.com anyway, what is the best water conditioner on the market? Is it that Seachem stuff? (Right now I’m using a cheap aloe Vera thingy, made by Jungle, called “Start Right”)

This stuff wasn’t important to me before, but it really is now. I want my bettas to have top quality food. (Already made the change over to Omega One for my neons)
Seachem Prime is the best. Omega One is really good, and I've heard really good things about hikari. My corydoras like their sinking pellets.

Seachem Prime is the best. Omega One is really good, and I've heard really good things about hikari. My corydoras like their sinking pellets.
I didn't realize Omega One made betta pellets! I will have to look into those. Does FLUVAL make Bug Bites small enough for bettas?

I didn't realize Omega One made betta pellets! I will have to look into those. Does FLUVAL make Bug Bites small enough for bettas?
Yea I think they are called like Betta Buffet pellets lol. I think Fluval has some smal bug bites yes.

I use API Tap Water Conditioner as it does not contain as many chemicals as Seachem Prime, or aloe vera like other water conditioners.

Seachem Prime is good, it detoxifies or 'locks' any harmful toxins in the water column for 24 hours, as well as dechlorinating tap water.

API Tap water conditioner and Tetra brands are both good dechlorinaters as well.

All of these are quite strong so you do have to be careful to give correct dosages to the amount of water you're changing, I use a unused plastic syringe (without the needle) to put into the bottle to draw out the correct amount needed.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I feed mine the regular tropical Bug Bites. I feed my bettas New Life Spectrum Betta food. I use Prime in all of my tanks except my bettas. I use Stress Coat in their tanks because the Prime seemed to mess up their tails. Some will say that Stress Coat is bad for them but my bff in aquatic research says that’s bologna. I know it did improve my bettas tails and have had no issues in well over a year.

I feed mine the regular tropical Bug Bites. I feed my bettas New Life Spectrum Betta food. I use Prime in all of my tanks except my bettas. I use Stress Coat in their tanks because the Prime seemed to mess up their tails. Some will say that Stress Coat is bad for them but my bff in aquatic research says that’s bologna. I know it did improve my bettas tails and have had no issues in well over a year.
So I should not get prime? I need a de chlorinator for all my tanks. If stress coat is OK for neon tetras as well, then I guess I could get stress coat. I can’t get both stress coat and prime.

Don't get stress coat, it can damage gills after a while.
So I should not get prime? I need a de chlorinator for all my tanks. If stress coat is OK for neon tetras as well, then I guess I could get stress coat. I can’t get both stress coat and prime.

@HoldenOn I can’t find this info anywhere. Can you lead me to it, please. I saw one article once that I believe Byron provided. Now I can’t find anything negative about Stress Coat. Can you help me, please. Anyone else?

Contents of water conditioners Many water conditioners are commercially available, but some are formulated only to dechlorinate water and/or bind heavy metals. These conditioners use dechlorinating agents such as sodium thiosulfate and ascorbic acid, chelating (metal binding) agents such as ethylenedianinetetra acetic acid (EDTA), and buffering agents such as tris (hydroxymethyl) aminomethane that restore acid–base balance. Water additives that form a protective ‘‘slime layer’’ will contain a polymer (often PVP or carboxymethyl cellulose [CMC]) or colloid (Table 2). Some additives contain aloe extract from leaves of the Aloe vera plant. Manufacturers of these products claim that the Aloe vera extract promotes healing of damaged tissue. One potential drawback to water additives that contain Aloe vera extract or CMC is the addition of organic waste load that can reduce the water quality and oxygen levels in a closed system. This may not be an issue, depending on the density of fish, length of time fish are held, and oxygen content of the water. However, the effects of these substances on gill tissue are unclear. Taiwo et al. (2005) tested the survival and behavior of tilapia (Oreochromis niloticus) exposed to different concentrations of aqueous extract of A. vera for up to 96 h. One hundred percent of tilapia exposed to 50 ppm A. vera died within the duration of the experiment. Fish used in this experiment exhibited severe depigmentation and destruction of organs (including gills). The evidence of the toxic effects of A. vera on fish solidifies the need to empirically test water conditioners, and their chemical components, for potential negative effects on fish.

Link to article

I think thats it, but @Byron might know of other sources.

No point in using StressCoat or StressZyme. Prime is a complete water conditioner and should never be used with any other "conditioner."
But there are also problems with these other two products.

The more chemicals we add to the tank water the more it affects the fish. Fish "drink" by taking in water via osmosis through every cell, 24/7. Substances dissolved in the water that have ions small enough to penetrate the cell membranes will enter the fish with the water. This in and of itself is dangerous. But there is yet more.

StressCoat contains aloe vera, and studies have shown this substance will harm fish gills long-term.

StressZyme makes claims about bacteria that are questionable, but regardless there is no reason such a product is necessary anyway.

@Deanasue

Thats just one quote from Byron, he has mentioned this about StressCoat and about StressZyme quite a number of times on other threads.

So there may actually be something in that about StressCoat as Byron is no fool and tends to have a good idea of what he is talking about when it comes to this hobby of ours.

I’ve never used it in any of my tanks at all, but for bettas it may be different, I am unsure tbh.

I know he had a really good article. @Byron do you still have the article on Stress Coat dangers? My concern is does it remove chloramine as effectively as Prime? I never considered that when our city changed to Chloramine.

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Back