New fish! Whoops, impulse buy...!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

@Wills There were a few that I loved the look of, but knew I wouldn't be able to keep that didn't make the research list, like the synos! Such gorgeous fish, and on my dream list long term, but I know it won't be happening for a while. But still nice to see those whiskered beauties in store!

My list:
Moenthausia costae
cruciatus loach
pyjama badis
garra flavatra
anchor catfish

And fish they had that I know I want to keep at some point, but not ready for yet that I did know of;
ember tetra
chili rasbora
cherry barbs
fire red apistos
neon green rasbora

Again, their lights are really good and they have some beautifully aquascaped tanks with Co2, so the plants are gorgeous and fish colours pop, so the cherry barbs, embers etc were really bright and red. Fish were very healthy, didn't spot any disease at all! Had some stunning discus too.

I can honestly recommend the store, which is called The Fish Store, in Bedminster, Bristol, for anyone who is near or passing through! Fish have been beautifully healthy the three times I've visited at different times, and they quarantine new stock like the cory babies I bought in. Huge range of fish too. They had cichlids and things too of course, @Wills , but I didn't write those down since I'm not in the market for them. None of your favourite Nicu's today though.
I’ve been tempted by Anchor Catfish myself for ages now. Real characters apparently.

They still look very exotic even if they didn't cost a lot!

Really cool that you'll basically get them for free with the trade ins!
For sure, they're pretty fish! And some species have incredible fins. There's so much variety in these psuedomugli's and dwarf rainbows, there really is. Check out psuedomugli gertrudae!
pseudomugli gertrudae.jpg

And threadfin rainbows (they're not always so red though)
threadfin rainbows.jpg

Or forktails! There were forktails in the store too, I remember now
forktail rainbow.jpg

And so many more! Lovely little fish, so good for smaller planted tanks

For sure, they're pretty fish! And some species have incredible fins. There's so much variety in these psuedomugli's and dwarf rainbows, there really is. Check out psuedomugli gertrudae!
View attachment 164679

And threadfin rainbows (they're not always so red though)
View attachment 164680

Or forktails! There were forktails in the store too, I remember now
View attachment 164681

And so many more! Lovely little fish, so good for smaller planted tanks
Love all of those! Never heard of the gertrudae variety though!

ETA: Nevermind, I'm an idiot and didn't realise luminatus and red neons are apparently the same species!

I'm really sorry, somehow I missed your comment until I re-scanned through the thread just now!

Oh man, the list of fish I made is long! Brace yourself, lol

Firstly, the dwarf rainbows, since I should be getting some psuedomugli luminatus
View attachment 164676
soon (trading with another hobbyist once the weather cools) and I'm really interested in the different psuedos now. They had a few different ones, but the ones I was really drawn to were the celeb rainbows
View attachment 164677

Now, they are a more subtle rainbow, but under a really good plant light, their colour is really really beautiful! They were really stunning just in the store tank, but they were even better in the planted display tank under a good light. Photos really don't do them justice, you really have to see them in person. I'd wait until I can afford a really quality light with a good spectrum though to really pick up the colour in their bodies.

They also red neon rainbows, blue eyed, that are really lovely too. They're tiny! Also looked great in the planted display tank. There were some more species I've forgotten, sadly, I felt a bit weird writing down my long list of names and prices, lol

View attachment 164678

The person I'm trading fish with just let me know that apparently luminatus and red neons are the same species! I didn't think to look for a Latin name for the red neons, I got confused since I'd called the store previously to see if they'd take my bronze cory babies and aske then if they had luminatus in stock, and he said "no, but we have red neons" so I just assumed they were different. This is why using Latin names is so important, lol.

The person I'm trading fish with just let me know that apparently luminatus and red neons are the same species! I didn't think to look for a Latin name for the red neons, I got confused since I'd called the store previously to see if they'd take my bronze cory babies and aske then if they had luminatus in stock, and he said "no, but we have red neons" so I just assumed they were different. This is why using Latin names is so important, lol.
Yah. I saw you refer to them as separate species and I was a bit confused 😅

Beautiful! We will need lots more pictures as they grow up! :)📸
Oh don't worry, I'll be spamming plenty of photos I'm sure! Thank you, I got so excited when I saw them and couldn't resist
I’ve been tempted by Anchor Catfish myself for ages now. Real characters apparently.

The ones I saw in the store were pretty small, they were just so different looking, I wanted to learn more about them! They look like a really interesting species to keep, especially for a biotope set up

Yes I actually did 😅
Haha, fair enough! You should have corrected me then :p

Update on fish - all three Venezuelan babies came to the front and went to town when I fed the tank, so they're settling in already, yay!

Haha, fair enough! You should have corrected me then :p

Update on fish - all three Venezuelan babies came to the front and went to town when I fed the tank, so they're settling in already, yay!
I should've but I didn't want to come across as a know it all teen 🤣🤣

I should've but I didn't want to come across as a know it all teen 🤣🤣
LOL! You wouldn't have, I promise. You'd have been right, and I don't mind being told, at all! I want to learn :)
😍
That's great to hear!!! I'm sure they love their new home! And they have a really good fish parent as well!
Aaaww, that's so sweet, thank you :) I'm sure the presence of the other cories helps a lot.
I feel a bit guilty for getting them now, when I'm getting a larger tank at the weekend and will have to put them through the upheaval of a transfer, so soon after getting them. But I don't get out to that side of Bristol often and it's expensive for me to go, so it was get them today, or not at all. Will try to minimise stress for all the fish through it all, of course.

No worries! And it's very possibly true, like albinos tend to turn more creamy coloured and less bright white as they mature, and plecos change colour a lot as they grow. :) Welcome to the forum, BTW! Since your name is Coryking I hope you keep cories too? I need more cory loving friends here, so I hope so! What kind of cories do you have?

Thank you! That one was a stock photo, but mine are below! I can see what you mean, it makes sense, but I like having my cory gang all together, you know? They're happier in big groups. I'm not desperate to breed them either, I've only ever bred them accidentally when they've just happened to spawn so I've saved the eggs and raised the fry then. So I'll have them live together and if they happen to breed together, it won't matter too much since they're the same species, and I suppose it would mean some fry would be black, some normal, perhaps some albinos since I have two albinos too. If I decide I want to spawn just the black ones, I'll move just the black ones to a spawning tank to make sure they only produce venezuelans :)

Here's my cories, only two were willing to pose though;
View attachment 164661View attachment 164662View attachment 164663View attachment 164664View attachment 164665View attachment 164666

@DoubleDutch and @Naughts Look at my adorable new babies!! I LOVE THEM :wub:
Congrats on your new arrivals.
The name Venezuelans is a worldwide incorrect name. In fact they have not any link with the country but are a manmade colorvariaty of C.schultzei which is closely related to C.aeneus and called C.schultzei "black". They'll crossbreed.

Their dark color depends of the ancestry.
These are quite black but there are some more "brownish" ones also.

Beautiful.corys

Congrats on your new arrivals.
The name Venezuelans is a worldwide incorrect name. In fact they have not any link with the country but are a manmade colorvariaty of C.schultzei which is closely related to C.aeneus and called C.schultzei "black". They'll crossbreed.

Oh wow, thank you for the congrats, and for the info!! I'd read that they were just a colour mutation of C.aeneus, and I even asked the guy at the store today who said they were! I didn't know they were C.schultzei! Dang, so if they'll interbreed with aeneus, I really shouldn't keep them together, huh?

Oh wow, thank you for the congrats, and for the info!! I'd read that they were just a colour mutation of C.aeneus, and I even asked the guy at the store today who said they were! I didn't know they were C.schultzei! Dang, so if they'll interbreed with aeneus, I really shouldn't keep them together, huh?
As long as there aren't eggs or you don't allow them to hatch there is nothing wrong.
There is some discussion if the C.schultzei is a specific species or also a type of Aeneus. So in that perspective the LFS-guy is (also) correct.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back