New fish in tank cycle check in

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

Freshfish88

Reaction score
I started this tank on Monday July 4th.

its a 20gal that is live planted with a bubble wall across the back side.

currently have 5 very active zebra danios with plans to add some tetras and a few panda Cory after the cycle has completed.

canā€™t see to well through it with the bloom going on but included a pic of first set up to show how it looks currently when clear.

Attachments

• 5E8BB403-79DE-4350-8AD4-A4AEA51F03BA.jpeg
    5E8BB403-79DE-4350-8AD4-A4AEA51F03BA.jpeg
    89.7 KB · Views: 40
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    204.4 KB · Views: 37
  • 885FC1C2-6DE6-4F58-B3D9-8ADF9E6BFDDD.jpeg
    885FC1C2-6DE6-4F58-B3D9-8ADF9E6BFDDD.jpeg
    394.7 KB · Views: 42
One thing with a fish in cycle though, if it's cycled with 3 small Zebra danios, it's cycled FOR those. Once you add more fish you risk breaking the cycle and restarting. Also I wouldn't add corydoras just yet. I would add more danios... About 3-4 more. Focus on the fish you have at the moment and then go on with others that work.
I'm not saying you can't have corydoras, just add more of the school you have now so they are less stress.led

Do a big water change every couple of days for the next few weeks. it will help to clear the water and should remove any ammonia and nitrite that might be building up.
Make sure any new water is free of chlorine/ chloramine before it's added to the tank.

I would add more danios...
The worst thing you could do with an uncycled tank is add more fish. Do not add any fish until the tank has cycled in 6+ weeks.

Do the water changes as Colin directed, you may choose to you Prime as the conditioner to limit ammonia damage in-between water changes.
It will also be beneficial to reduce feeding to a small amount twice a week and add more plants, especially floating plants.

The worst thing you could do with an uncycled tank is add more fish. Do not add any fish until the tank has cycled in 6+ weeks.

Do the water changes as Colin directed, you may choose to you Prime as the conditioner to limit ammonia damage in-between water changes.
It will also be beneficial to reduce feeding to a small amount twice a week and add more plants, especially floating plants.
I meant after the cycle

The best thing to do would be to read the two articles on the site for rescuing a fish in cycle gone wild. ;)

I do not believe in doing fish in cycles, especially if one is new to the hobby. I would have said 5 fish is way to many to use in a 20 gal. to start a fishless cycle and also suggested that it is also too small to have them living there for any extended time period. They are active fish and should have more swimming room than 24 x 12 inches.

These are the two articles

its a 20gal that is live planted with a bubble wall across the back side.

currently have 5 very active zebra danios with plans to add some tetras and a few panda Cory after the cycle has completed.

canā€™t see to well through it with the bloom going on but included a pic of first set up to show how it looks currently when clear.
Once it's fully cycled you should be ready to add the new fish. Whether you have a quarantine tank and procedure or not is up to you to ponder on before adding new fish, and as far as adding to the bioload, I'd get a bottle of seachem stability to "boost" your existing beneficial bacteria at that point. Unless you're going to add an inordinate quantity of new fish, monitoring your water quality and changing it so that ammonia stays at zero until your tank's bb "catches up" to the added load is the way to go.

Most reactions

trending

Back