new filter

cbster

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
i just bought an emperor 400 to replace my old whisper 4. and i just put the old filter in front of the new filter so i didn't lose the bacteria that i have. because i am still cycling. so i was wondering if that was the right thing to do and if it was how long should i keep it in there. thanks

Sounds good to me. You could have also left the original running while the new one was being established but adding it into the new is fine.

What do you have in the other 2 compartments that come empty? I would recommend filter floss.

I would leave it in for a few weeks until it needs to be rinsed and then only change out 2 at a time. What I do is since there are 4 compartments and I do from 3-7 wc's a week, I rinse 1 compartment a week.

i put in the fiter cartriges that came with it and aqua pure carbon and zeolite granules should i use something else thanks

Personally, I would only use filter floss for all media. Maybe others can give their opinions but I think filter floss is the best and that's all I ever use.

is that what it is called at the store i have to go later and i will pick some up. would you use instead of the stuff they sent with it thanks

Yea, it's called filter floss at the lfs. Make sure if you go to a store and not a lfs that whatever you get is aquarium safe. It's real cheap at the lfs. A 3 years supply will only cost about $1.50. You will want to rinse it a couple times a month in tank water you take out but only need to change it once or twice a year.

I would fill the last 2 compartments up fyull of filter floss.

Most reactions

trending

Back