New Filter on Cycled Tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishGuest5123

Fish Maniac
Tank of the Month 🏆
Reaction score
So my Marineland Penguin 200 filter crashed today on my tropical tank. I had to put my Petco 30 that I use for QT tank on the tropical for now. I was able to use the same filter media so cycle is cool. I ordered an Aqua Flow 30. My question is should I just put the cycled media from the original filter in with the Aqua Clear media or should I let both filters run for about a month together. Which do you feel is best to keep the cycle going?

Is the Aqua Flow 30 meant to be AquaClear 30?

AquaClear HOB (hang on back) filters come with ceramic beads, a sponge and some carbon. Don't bother using the carbon.

I would put the ceramic beads in the AquaClear, then the old established Marineland media, then the AquaClear sponge on top. If that doesn't fit, then use the AquaClear sponge and the Marineland filter media.

------------------------------
How big is the tank?

Is there any chance of changing the AquaClear 30 to a 50?
The 50 doesn't take up much more space but holds bigger sponges.

You should also get a round/ cylindrical sponge from an internal power filter and put it over the intake strainer of the new filter.

Yes, it’s an Aqua Clear. Half asleep, I guess. I have an Aqua Clear 70 on my 55G along with another filter. The 30 will be going on a 20L. I normally do just transfer media but have heard people running both filters for awhile. Thought I’d check. I’ll check and see if I can cancel the 30 and order the 50.

You can run both filters (the new and old one) together but it takes longer for the new filter to become established. If you add established media to the new filter, the bacteria can come in contact with the new media and settle into it quicker (usually within a few weeks). This means your new filter will be established sooner and you can use the old filter for the quarantine tank sooner.

If the tank is only a 20 litre, then the AquaClear 30 will be fine. If you ever plan on getting a bigger tank then get the 50 now and just turn the flow rate down :)

Sounds good. Thanks for your suggestions, Colin. I always figure 2 heads are better than 1. :)

I would put the ceramic beads in the AquaClear, then the old established Marineland media, then the AquaClear sponge on top. If that doesn't fit, then use the AquaClear sponge and the Marineland filter media.
------------------------------
Uhm....no. The sponge (or more than one) always goes in first to trap detritus as the water travels bottom-->up through the media. You want to keep any bio-media as clean as possible. So you have sponge(s), fine filter pad, then any chemical media (I don't use any), then old, followed by new bio-media last.
------
I fill my Aquaclear's completely with sponge material as I have found that bio-sponge is every bit as good, or better, than ceramic or rock like medias. So I use two standard Aquaclear sponges, then a pad, and fill the rest with finer, custom cut bio-sponge. So I basically have HOB sponge filters. I will also use a pre-filter sponge on the inlet tubes, increasing bio surface area further and as a food and fry saver. (I feed flake food and rather than have some get sucked into the filter, it sticks to the pre-filter sponge and fish will later pick/pluck it off.)
------
Alternatively, I often start new tanks by rinsing/cleaning sponge from an established tank in the new tank water. Although debated on this forum, I've found over the years that enough BB is transferred to seed the new filter.
------
I do agree that the AC50 is better than the AC30 for the increased media space. (My two AC70's on my 60g use AC50 impellers for increased media space and reduced flow rates - both set for minimum flow/max re-filtration).
:)

Thanks for the info. I actually already have an AquaClear and do put my sponges on bottom. Tossed the charcoal so beads on top.

AbbeysDad - Is the fine pad for polishing? Do you cut your own?

AbbeysDad - Is the fine pad for polishing? Do you cut your own?
I'm using a bonded polyester filter pad material made/marketed by Marineland, It is white(coarse) on one side and blue(fine) on the other. Yes, it's just for some extra polish and yes, it comes in a large sheet and you cut your own to fit.
bondedfilterpad.jpg

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back