New female bettas!

Origami Gourami

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Well, I found somewhere selling the cutest little females on Saturday, so bought three of the nicest ones. So chuffed because I think at least two are crowntails, as they have the beginnings of the 'sweetcorn fork' finnage, but I think they're very young. They were arguing in the bag when I put them in the water to acclimatise, then they set eyes on my male and were transfixed! :wub: Reminded me of 'Who Framed Roger Rabbit' when that woman in toontown shouts 'A MAN!' and chases Bob Hoskins! Wish it was two way, he doesn't seem too interested in his new wives at the moment! Playing it cool I reckon... B)

Currently (day three) they are still chilling out and getting to know their way around. One likes resting on the floating leaves at the top, another has found a great hideaway behind the filter.

They are less than half the size of the male at the mo, and find him a bit scary without the bag wall between them - he keeps moving towards them and before he can say hi they've scarpered! Oh well, early days.

I wish I could get pics, but they are so small and my camera is particularly rubbish, that I doubt it would work. :X

They seem to be getting along fine, although they've only been in a week or so. I read up on this forum and elsewhere beforehand and the general concensus seemed to be that three-four females was better than one, and that they would be happy with a chap aound.

So far the male isn't too fussed (more interested in his reflection) and the females are staking out their own areas of the tank. They are about an inch long, so they almost blend in with the tetras at the mo. The male says hi occasionally, but they are still a touch on the timid side. There are plenty of hiding spaces, plants and leaves to disappear into.

Their colours have really come out: one is deep purple, one pale lilac with light blue finnage and the other has a pinky purple hue. The colours have really come out since they've arrived.

Most reactions

Back