New Dwarf Male Gourimi not swimming right

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Mooky9669

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
I have a 20 gallon high tank that has 6 zebra danios, 5 corys, and a new male dwarf gourami..Had a neon blue dwarf gourami for months and it died a week ago. Got another blue one to replace it and it died after week, yesterday morning. Just got a dwarf male gourami yesterday. It was swimming fine until i saw it when the light came on a little bit ago. Was swimming like my last gourami did before it died. He is on bottom of tank, swimming kind of sideways, and hiding in rock decoration or plastic plants. All the other fish are swimming around like they have been. I have had this tank about a year, I think. What can I do? If this one dies, I'm afraid to get another one. What other type of colorful fish can I get instead that might have better survival chance? I did a water change last Wed. I do one once a week and vacuum.

Any photos? My question is why do you keep on adding the same fish over and over again when it is dying? That is my question. Not meaning to sound rude, but obviously a DG isn't working out.

Can you post a picture and short 20 second video of the fish?

Check your water quality for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate & pH and post the results here (in numbers).

Do a 75% water change and gravel clean the substrate each day for a week and see if it helps.

------------------------
Dwarf Gouramis (Trichogaster lalius) and all their colour varieties have 2 major diseases, the Iridovirus and Tuberculosis (TB). Once these diseases are in the tank they are there until you disinfect the tank. Any new dwarf gourami can also have these diseases so I normally recommend people avoid buying any of these fish unless you can get locally bred stock. Any dwarf gourami from Asia can have the Iridovirus or TB. And if these diseases are in the tank, any fish added to that tank will probably develop the diseases.

Any photos? My question is why do you keep on adding the same fish over and over again when it is dying? That is my question. Not meaning to sound rude, but obviously a DG isn't working out.
Well I didn't think it would die because I had one for almost as long as I had the tank. If this one passes, like I posted, would like another colorful fish that might do better. I just want one colorful one to stand out in my tank. I just did a 50% water change.

20180924_091352-1209x1612.jpg

Well I didn't think it would die because I had one for almost as long as I had the tank. If this one passes, like I posted, would like another colorful fish that might do better. I just want one colorful one to stand out in my tank. I just did a 50% water change.
If you had one for as long as you had the tank then your DG likely had lots of damage going through the fish-in-cycle. Did you use any prime?

What sort of filter do you have on the tank?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or pH?
If you don't have test kits you can take a glass full of tank water to the pet shop and ask them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the test.

Don't get any new fish for at least a month and avoid dwarf gouramis.

it's probably best to put the fish down, it doesn't look good. :(

I clean filters when I do water change. I use the aquarium water in bucket. I have too and I have the outside fuzzy filter part from my old filter that I used when I cycled the tank. Only fish I had die before the gouramis was 1 cory. So after I wait a month, what should I get then? Any suggestions? I only tested water when cycling and levels were good to go before I starting adding fish. Gourami tries to swim to top, but acts weighted down. I noticed he was up top like normal this morning before light came on.

What sort of filter do you have on the tank?
How often do you clean the filter and how do you clean it?

Have you tested the water for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate or pH?
If you don't have test kits you can take a glass full of tank water to the pet shop and ask them to test it for you. Write the results down (in numbers) when they do the test.

Don't get any new fish for at least a month and avoid dwarf gouramis.

it's probably best to put the fish down, it doesn't look good. :(
Store testing isn't accurate at all. Look into an API Master Test Kit. And DG's are very prone to getting diseases, so I would look into another master piece.

I didn't do store testing...I have a kit. I tested with my kit when I cycled tank before I added my fish, when I got my tank. So what master piece should I get? Here is pic I just took.

Attachments

• 20180924_095523-1512x2016.jpg
    20180924_095523-1512x2016.jpg
    413 KB · Views: 219
I was thinking of a ram. Bolivian ram maybe
I googled it. Pretty fish. So I could just have 1 of those as colorful centerpiece or more than 1? Like I said, I have 5 cory, amd 6 zebra danios. Any other suggestions? What about other types of ram?

Last edited:

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back