New driftwood

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to vote! šŸ†

I got a couple pieces of what looked like nice driftwood, & it leached tannins like crazy, turned my tank to Coffee, at the weekly water change, this after soaking it for a week before putting it in my tank... so I pulled it out & boiled it for most of a week, alternating between soaking & boiling, changing the water daily, in the biggest kettle we have... still it turned my tank blackwater dark, it's been in my tank for 4-6 months, & still turns my water darker than I like before water changes... it's starting to get better... staining was a reddish brown, not sure what kind of wood it is, but the type of wood makes a difference
It's coffee wood mate, might also contain caffeine, have the fish been more active? :D

My wood has been in a week just about and the white slime stuff has started growing on it, I was thinking of taking the wood and rock out and giving it al a good clean and some boiling water can I clean in clean water or will I use tank water

My wood has been in a week just about and the white slime stuff has started growing on it, I was thinking of taking the wood and rock out and giving it al a good clean and some boiling water can I clean in clean water or will I use tank water
No, I wouldn't do that. Just take some of the tank water out and put into a bucket. A clear container is even better so you can see the white slime easier. Then use a brush to brush it off. Brush should only be used for cleaning tank.

No. Do not boil wood, it breaks the fibers and the wood will rot sooner. Hot water under the tap is fine, with a brush. But don't boil it, and I doubt baking is any better.

The white slime is fungus. Much of this is probably not toxic, but there are many species of fungus originating in wood and some is deadly toxic. Only a microbiologist can ascertain the species. However, I tracked down red moor root, and found this site which says it is safe. I have no idea, but it is only fair that you realize this. I know nothing about this site, you may want to find others.

1 of the 4 pieces of Manzanita wood I put in my tank grew some white fungus in a few small spots. When I cleaned the tank I would suck the fungus out with a siphon.

It reappeared a few times and after that it disappeared completely.

I would just do what I did and see how it goes

No, I wouldn't do that. Just take some of the tank water out and put into a bucket. A clear container is even better so you can see the white slime easier. Then use a brush to brush it off. Brush should only be used for cleaning tank.
The wood is 2 big pieces that wouldnā€™t fit in a bucket I might just try and scrub them when I do a water change in the tank

The wood is 2 big pieces that wouldnā€™t fit in a bucket I might just try and scrub them when I do a water change in the tank
Give it a try it may work. I had to wash that stuff off more then a few times before it went away completely.

I'd be more inclined to take it to the shower or bath tub, rather than spreading it around in a confined container, to reattach somewhere else & start growing, this time in multiple places

I'd be more inclined to take it to the shower or bath tub, rather than spreading it around in a confined container, to reattach somewhere else & start growing, this time in multiple places
Yeah, I almost suggested the tub idea. If you can, I'd suggest buying a large plastic tub/container box for things like this.

Yer Iā€™ve got a huge tub I can do it in will I use the tank water and do a water change or will normal water be ok

I've always boiled my driftwood before using so never had a lot of tannins in the water.
This gets people worked up . Some people boil and the guys that donā€™t have a hissy fit because of those that do . I have ALWAYS boiled my driftwood . You just do not know where itā€™s been . Boil it and be safe .

As do Iā€¦ of course my last piece didnā€™t fit in my biggest pot( turkey fryer ) so I had to flip it
Thatā€™s usually the problem . Not a big enough pot to do it in . In those few cases that happened to me I did the same thing . I flopped it around until I was satisfied that I got it . As far as boiling out the tannins goes I donā€™t think thatā€™s even possible and in fact I think it may even release some that are buried further in . Only a chemist could answer that for sure .

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back