New Delhezi Bichir :)

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Far2lively

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Just Bought A Delhezi Bichir :) Pics Up Soon, Any ideas On The Best Thing To Feed Them, I'm Feeding It Hikari Massivore Atm

All my polypterus used to devour sand eel (frozen)

Iv had senegals, delhezi and ornate bichirs and they have all been fed massivore, bloodworm, frozen fish like smelt, krill, worms and frozen market prawns

Massivore is considered better overall for bigger predictors like redtail cats, shovelnose cats, snakeheads, bigger cichlids like dovii, jags, Flowerhorns, butti's and so on. Although they are not what I would consider cheap. I also use Hikari medium floating cichlid pellets for my Flowerhorn, not sure if a bichir would take them as iv never tried but my delhezi and ornate took anything that was offered :)

Massivore pellets are BIG so I just break them up into manageable sizes for the specific fish. I'd give them a go and see how you get on :good:

Also variety is key to good health and growth in fish. With my Flowerhorn I'm feeding the Hikari pellets one week then New Life Spectrum pellets the 2nd week then going bk to the Hikari on week 3 and so on... I also feed him frozen bloodworm and/or krill cubes, worms every 2-3 days and market prawns once or twice a week. This seems to be working very well for quick growth and good colour. He will be on massivore in a few weeks when he's a bit bigger. He's only 3-3 1/2 inches at the moment. Had him a few weeks from around an inch in length.

Same sort of variety/diet would go for bichirs

All my Bichirs are on a staple of Hikari Massivore.

I'm going to get some massivore for mine. He gobbles down the little carnivore discs like freakin skittles. It's so fun to watch him try to find them though, blind little guy, lol. He will eat frozen bloodworms and shrimp pellets now. I like the idea of a variety diet... My other catfish, and oddly enough my pleco, have taken quite a liking to the carnivore. Gets them more excited than anything else i've fed them so far. I've even seen the pleco on occasion chase the bichir away from them so he can grab one.

He should eat bloodworm.. All my bichirs did.

A lot of plecs like meaty foods in their diet whilst some even need it.. Not a lot of people realise that. That's probably why your plec has taken a liking to them :good:

I have a delhezi its one of my best fish. They are so active and fun to watch. I love him.  Great fish for sure and they don't get too big that I like. 

At first mine was not eating well.  I fed him sea food.  Then when he got more use to the tank he started eating anything I put in there.  The only problem I was having is my pictus cats are so darn fast they eat all the pellets before my Delhezi can get them.  He has gotten better at pushing the pictus cats around and he gets a nice full belly now. 

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back