New Canister Filter: Questions About Cleaning

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

lmeijer

Reaction score
Okay so I got my first Canister filter and have a few questions, the directions are minimal and I want to make sure I do it right. The tank is 65 gallons.

1. It says to clean the foam every 3 months and everything else replaced monthly, is that true? How often should I be cleaning vs replacing?

2. When I clean the tank, do I turn it off and then if so do I have to empty it to prime it again?

3. If the output is too strong causing my plants to sway and lean will a spray bar be better?

Sorry for the dumb questions but I am so new to this type of filter I am used to HOB's.

thanks.

I'll try not to waffle (as I always do)

1/What media are you putting in the filter?.. Foam / Pads / Bio Balls / Ceramics etc - - There many different things around and without knowing what you have got its difficult to tell.

But . . FYI
I have in my filter - Cermic rings in the bottom. Coarse Filter Foam next , Some Effimech (eheim) third, all topped off with folter floss..

Now - Monthly i rinse out the filter floss in old tank water, replacing it every 2 - 3 months as its cheap to buy in bulk and does start breaking down after a while.
The coarse foam gets squeezed in old tank water every couple of month... not too much, but enough to knock out the biggest debris, without washing any bioloigcals out. Havt replaced the foam in over a year.
The ceramics and effimech I simply juggle the basket around in old tank water each change to loosen the large debirs... Havnt replaced in over a year.

2. Leave the filter on when cleaing the tank (assuming you are talking about Gravel Vaccing / Glass cleaning etc.. Any bits loosend will be picked up.. If emptying the tank., Then do turn off as the pump will be sucking on the inlet pipe and be receiving sweet FA in return.

3. Yes it may help.. Alternatively point the flow from your filter where no plants are, or buy a tulip for the end (which spreads the flow out a bit more, reducing the direct punch effect.

Hope this helps...

Thanks, my filter has the following from bottom to top:

2 foam
3 carbon
bio balls
ceramic rings
floss

Thanks for the advice!!!!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back