New-born Baby Ferrets

I have seen those ferrets I went to your web site. Do you have any ferrets at your rescue center right now. If so I would love them. As for the cat food I know you arent supposed to give them cat food. But when they absoullty refuse ferret food what do you do. I tried giving my ferrets what they were supposed to have and it wont work. They get thier mind set to something they win I cant tell them no. I love mine so much I would love to have more. Two of mine are rescues for some stupid lady that put them out side in a cage and never looked at them again till it was time to sell them. I gave her $ 200.00 dollars for them so they could have the rest of thier short lifes happy.

How many different brands of ferret food did you try them with???
I know that in America there are loads of different brands - could just be that they didn't like that speific brand.
We do have a lot of ferrets ready for loving new homes at the rescue but I don't think that you would be able to get them (the rescue is in England)! :/

But I know there are many places to get them from in America.

I will pay for shipping it should be the same as one cost. You know they have two brands of ferret food that I can buy here and that is Marshell ferrets, And 8 in one...Them ferrets of mine justs smells of that stuff and walks off, They are so funny. I have healthy ferrets my vets say thier coats are shining like new money. And thier blood work is great so I think they should be fine on what I am feeding them, Here in Ky they dont make that bigger deal over ferrets they arent a rescue center in the state..

Sorry but I don't think its fair to ship ferrets all the way to America!
There are plenty of good ferret rescues in the US too. Even if you have to travel to another state - surely it's worth it? Or advertise that you will take in needy ferrets from people in your state - word soon gets out!
The 8 in 1 is good stuff - shame your ferrets don't like it! Cat food doesn't damage your ferrets health - just may give them the runs :sick:

Ferrets are fantastic pets but just make sure you do loads of research and get some for the right reasons first.
Don't worry I will be doing my research... It won't be until next summer if I get one anyway because I will be making their home myself and want to make sure I can look after them before I start building.

Thanks. I'll keep my eyes peeled for the caresheet :)

OK - Thanks consp. I am at work next saturday so I will probably do the caresheet on sunday. Glad to hear that i've managed to get another ferret nut in the world!
Your'll love ferrets - there brilliant! :D

Cat food also doesn't contain the right sort of nutrients as a staple diet. Ferrets need lots of animal protein and fat in their diet and the protein found in cat food is mostly corn or soya protein, which ferrets can not process as effectively. Cat food is also quite low in fat compared to most good ferret biscuits.
Maybe you could try mixing very very small proportions of ferret biscuit in with the cat biscuits and over a few weeks gradually increase the amount. You needn't switch over entirely if they won't allow it ( :rolleyes: ), but it'd be good if they would eat at least a little each day.

I have been giving them ferret treats, But they just will not have the food. I can get the baby to eat the ferret food but the adults will not touch it....

If they really won't eat it, then I'd make sure they get fresh chicken (raw or cooked) regularly to be sure they're getting all the protein and fat they need :thumbs:. If you get some cheap chicken thighs you can just sling them in a saucepan, cover with water and boil until no longer pink in the middle. Then just wait for them to cool, pick the meat from the bone and save the fatty juice/jelly. Keep it in the fridge or freeze it and I like to microwave the meat and juice/jelly slightly to make a warm chicken broth for them... mine can't get enough! My polecat hob Slinky gets all emotional and stands in front of the bowl for about five minutes just licking his chops in anticipation before he even tucks in! Once he does start eating it he quivers and vibrates all over and the fur on his body all stands on end (especially on his tail and the back of his neck) :lol:. Mmmmm... tastey chicken! :wub:

Wow they are really cool as babys, so cute. :D

Ferretts are just crazy, wouldnt mind one as a pet one day, apart from the poop. :blink:

Yea I would tell anyone if they are going to get a ferret for a pet they need to have two. I would have 20 if I could. Good news the ferrets are starting to eat the ferret food some if I mix chicken gravy in with it. :D

Yea I would tell anyone if they are going to get a ferret for a pet they need to have two. I would have 20 if I could. Good news the ferrets are starting to eat the ferret food some if I mix chicken gravy in with it. :D

Glad to hear it AngelLady! It will help the ferrets immune system and digestive system and should also help you purse! Generally I find that buying loads of ferret food is cheaper than cat food!

Got a georgeous little lad here at the minute. It's a creulty case because he's only a little man (about 3 weeks) - a very late baby and far too young to be away from mum. Some bast**** has tried to put a cigarette out on his head to try and kill him - poor little man!
We're getting him there but he's still at death's door - regular nightly feedings are a pain!
I'll keep ya posted.
:angry:

Glad to hear it AngelLady! It will help the ferrets immune system and digestive system and should also help you purse! Generally I find that buying loads of ferret food is cheaper than cat food!

Got a georgeous little lad here at the minute. It's a creulty case because he's only a little man (about 3 weeks) - a very late baby and far too young to be away from mum. Some bast**** has tried to put a cigarette out on his head to try and kill him - poor little man!
We're getting him there but he's still at death's door - regular nightly feedings are a pain!
I'll keep ya posted.
:angry:

Poor thing please let me know if they are anything that i can help with to save him. I will send money I am always trying to help poor mistreated animals. The poor baby. I would like to see the bast**D spend his three or four years in jail with someone putting out cigarettes out on his head. Please let me know if the little one is going to make it ok. How did you all get it. Will you pm me a picture of it...I want to see him...

Most reactions

Back