New Betta!

Catx

Reaction score
Hi! I just got three lovely female betta, and I love them all very much. I am new to owning betta, but I have done a lot of research. I have three questions. My first question is how often do betta take in oxygen from the top of a tank? My betta do swim around the tank, but they go up to the top and breath in a bit of oxygen every minute or so. Like I said, they are swimming around the whole tank and are not just gulping all the oxygen they can get from the top. My second question is do bettas form relationships? Like I said, all my betta are female. My fish are Jesus, Judas, and Moses. Jesus I had a bit before the other two, but she was kept in a different tank, so they were all put in the new tank at the same. There was some chasing done by Jesus, but they are all fine now. Whenever I go upstairs to check on the fish, which is quite a lot because they are fun to watch, all my bettas are in a group together. Do all bettas do this? I know it seems like not a problem, but I just wanted to make sure that itā€™s normal. My third question is should I get some more fish for my tank? I have a ten gallon tank, and I love watching the fish. Iā€™m happy watching my three betta, but it would be nice to have more diversity. I have heard that Neon tetra can be kept with a betta in a five gallon tank, in groups because they are schooling fish, and itā€™s perfectly fine. This sounded a bit weird to me, because a 5 gal. is such a tiny tank. So would it be fine to put 5-6 Neon Tetra in the tank with my three betta? Thank you!

Hi and welcome! I use to have a betta sorority ( which is what you have with 3 females). From experience, I am not a fan of this. I lost all of mine to stress. That being mentioned, 3 bettas are too many for a 10G tank. Donā€™t add any other fish as you are already overstocked with 3 bettas. If you have no place to rehome a couple, then fill your tank with lots of plants and caves for the bettas to hide in. Each one will need its own territory and to get away from the others when tired. You will need enough plants to break the line of vision when one needs to rest. It will need to lol like a jungle. They will start out fine but aggression will increase due to size of tank. Most of us keep only one betta in a 10G tank. Hope all works out for you. Watch them closely all the time for aggression. :)

Hi and thank you so much for the reply! I bought a lot of cover and plants for my betta before I got the fish, and my plan is to buy a bigger tank once I save up enough money. Iā€™m really close to being able to buy one, so it will be here soon. I watch for aggression all the time, and while there was some at first, it has died down a lot since when they first arrived. I will make sure to get a bigger tank before I get anymore fish. Thank you so much, this has really helped.

Hello! I bought my first betta yesterday! 34l tank (7.5 gallons) already with 2 African dwarf frogs in it. Jarvis (the betta) has been very calm and reserved until I went in with some tongs to give my frogs a treat of some salmon. Then Jarvis thought nothing of helping himself each time. He is small, but so powerful! I've added an almond leaf to lower the pH for him. Hope you get on well with your ladies!

You have frogs in with your betta!? That sounds really interesting! I also didnā€™t know almond leaves could help lower pH. I bet your tank keeps you entertained huh :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back