New beta one Gill flared

šŸ  May TOTM Voting is Live! šŸ 
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
šŸ† Click here to Vote! šŸ†

Newbie02

Reaction score
Hi all, I just got a beta this week and I noticed today that one Gill Is flared and wonā€™t close properly so I went to test the water and ammonia was between .50 and maybe 1 so of course I changed the water Iā€™m using spring water from water gallons in a 2.5 gal. Tank (Iā€™m working on a 10 gal tank) aside from the flared Gill beta is behaving normally eating and swimming all over and has made more bubbles to his nest
image.jpg
image.jpg

Last edited:
Hi,
Is there a filter on the tank and did you cycle it before getting the betta?

Is he in a bare, empty tank? No substrate or decor at all?

Hi thanks for replying,
Yes the tank has a filter I put a sponge in front to slow the water current as it was too strong. The tank is bare and no I didnā€™t cycle Iā€™ve been testing with api test kit (not the strips). The temp is consistently at 78 degrees

Keeping any fish in a totally bare tank is going to make them very stressed out. Stress leads to a weakened immune system and risk of them falling ill.
Fish are prey for a lot of creatures - they're at risk from birds and other animals above the water, and predators lurking in deeper water. They need plants and things to hide in and feel safe. Betta specifically, with those heavy fins, often rest on the bottom, and like to rest on leaves at all levels of the tank, and near the surface so they can go to the top and breathe from the surface. Yours has nothing but glass...

It's really not okay to keep one in a bare tank like that!

Do you know how to do a fish in cycle? Because you need to do one now. It's going to mean daily tests and large water changes, not overfeeding - and getting some substrate and plants/decor in that tank!!

Yes Iā€™m going to put some live plants and gravel.from what I understand Iā€™m going to monitor daily the ammonia levels and change out the water. I change it at .25 is that ok? I donā€™t mind the work I did impulsively buy the beta I should have known better but do you have any idea why his gill would be flared apart from stress?

Change the water anytime ammonia or nitrites are anything above zero, and if nitrAtes go above 20ppm.

I'm not sure about the gill, so tagging @Colin_T for advice.

25% of water change is too low.
Change at least 70% or more.

Just remember, if you have 1.0 ppm ammonia, changing 50% water will reduce by half to 0.5 ppm ammonia.

Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update. My betta is doing so much better, itā€™s flared Gill/operculum has gone away he looks 80% healed. It really must have been the ammonia spike. I also did put in gravel/plants so for now everything looks better.

Hey everyone, just wanted to give an update. My betta is doing so much better, itā€™s flared Gill/operculum has gone away he looks 80% healed. It really must have been the ammonia spike. I also did put in gravel/plants so for now everything looks better.

Yes, high ammonia may cause gill issues as ammonia will burn the gills and is toxic to the fish.
When your tank is not fully cycled, you need to do more water changes frequently.

Some info for you to read:

Thank you for updating! It's good to hear the little guy is doing better. It's a beautiful betta.

Keep an eye on those water conditions and keep on top of the W/C's, since it's still really early days in a tank cycle, but hearing that he's already improving is great news.

Most reactions

Back