New Batch....any Tips?

fishfins

New Member
Joined
Jul 1, 2009
Messages
14
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Alright so if you haven't heard of me, I'm Finsie, and I suppose an intermediate tankkeeper. Now that my last batch of fish died after almost 4 years, (which were tinfoil barbs, bala sharks, and guaramis) I'm getting a 20 gl tank, and went to Petsmart to pick out some possible choices for my new batch. I chose as possible choices-
-Rainbow Sharks (or albino rainbow sharks)
-Eclipse Catfish
-Pangasius Catfish
-Buenos Aires Tetras
-Long Finned Zebra Danio (which I'd probably get in a small school)
-AND I really want to get maybe two of these, African Dwarf Frogs.
I'm pretty sure all of the above won't fit into the same tank, especially because some might be in schools. Now some things I want to know.
Would all of the above be alright being together (as in would they get along no matter which I choose)? Which need and would look better in bigger schools? Any other comments or help would be great : )
 
Hi, sorry mate but an intermediate fishkeeper would know that the tank is way too small for a Pangasius, eclipse cat and RTB shark,

RTBs need 50G
eclipse cats need around 100G+
and Pangs are so unsuitable for home aquaria due to their max size of 2-3feet++

and TBH I would even argue that Buenos airies tetras and danios need more swimming space than a 20G,

and to answer your other question, the pang and eclipse (sun) cat will eat the frogs tetras and danios,

Also just wondering if your only getting a 20G now what were the Tinfoils and Balas kept in ??
 
The word batch worries me how quickly do you get through fish, and they all died together?
 
Really? Strange...because at the pet store it said all of the fish I listed only needed 20 gl. And as I had listed before, I wasn't going to put ALL of the above in the same tank. I was just showing fish I might be interested in buying, but not all of them. Also, my balas and tinfoil barbs were in hmm i'm not sure maybe a 12 gl tank? There was a lot of extra space...so I don't think it really mattered.

Oh uh sorry. I meant plainly the new fish I was going to buy. They didn't all die together. The balas died 3 to 3 and a half years after I bought them, and the Tinfoils died 4 years after I had bought them. The gouramis are still thriving im my current tank however.
 
Lol Tinfoils and Bala sharks should be getting to one foot in length and should have been kept in a 120G+
They are able to live for over 10 years easily when kept in the right conditions,

keeping any of the species listed in this thread is simply cruel, sorry
 
As I mentioned in another thread of yours, bala sharks kept in the right conditions can be expected live more like 10-15 years, they may have been stressed which nay have contributed to their death.

Just because they were small doesn't mean they don't need plenty of swimming space, Bala sharks need 100+ gallon tanks and should be kept in groups of 4 or more as they are a shoaling fish

Andy
 
Well, I guess I'm glad I know now. The store listed differently, so I didn't know. : (
 
The pet store will say anything that will get you to buy the fish. I once overheard a salesman trying to sell a lady a saltwater angelfish for her tropical community tank.
 
Well um... would any of the fish I listed be able to be in the tank? Any other cool fish you'd reccomend?
 
I wouldn't ever listen to your fish stores advise, most fish stores are there for one thing only, to make a profit.

If they told all the customers that bala sharks need 100/120+ gallons then that instantly will probably rule out a good 60-70% of the customers that come through the door and they lose sales.

Andy

The only fish that you mentioned that would be ok size wise are the danios and tetras but it would still be a bit cruel as both of these are very active fish and require a good amount of swimming space.

Andy
 
Alright then what other fish do u recommend???? other than the ones i've listed.
 
5 Guppies, 5 platies OR 5 swordtails, 3-4 cory cats, and a bristlenose plec. That is what I would stock.
 
I have just had a quick look at a website and it says that for a small peacock eel then 20 gallons is fine BUT if the eel grows then it will need a larger tank.

Have you bought the 20 gall yet?

Isnt a slightly larger tank an option?

Andy
 

Most reactions

Back
Top