New background and photo dump

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

squidneh

Fish Crazy
Reaction score
I switched over to a black background on my community tank, so here are before, during, and after photos.

Before
20200928_133047.jpg

During (no background)
20200928_133638.jpg

I was actually surprised that I didn't mind the look with no background, but since this tank is in a window the background isn't optional.

And after
20200928_134446.jpg

Most notable thing....algae! I didn't realize how much algae I had on the glass lol. The outside of my tank also needs to be cleaned.

And now just some random photos.
Peach was feeling extra photogenic today.
20200928_135325.jpg

20200928_135254.jpg

The "jungle" side of the tank. Featuring a very sad java fern that didn't do well in my other tank, so I tried to see if it would recover in this tank. Looks like a no.
20200928_135907.jpg

And the "light" side of the tank featuring my ludwigia which I just trimmed and replanted yesterday so some are a bit sorry looking at the moment
20200928_135943.jpg

Harlequins
20200928_140004.jpg

I never worry about the back and side walls, those belong to the fish. As long as the front wall is clean I am happy.
Agree. I leave the algae on the sides and back too.

Thanks guys! Yeah I will leave it, my remaining 2 otocinclus like to nibble it occasionally and it isn't out of control so it can stay. Glad to know it seems other people leave it as well!

Looks good, it is good to have a jungle, :snap: I have an anacharis forest in my 55 gallon tank:good:

Yes I love the jungle look! I like that I can have my easy growing low light plants shaded by my floating plants, and then also play around with some "harder" plants on the other side. Ive only gotten successful at keeping plants over the past few months so naturally I want all of the plants I could never try before lol. After I move and switch this set up to the 29 gallon I will be adding a bit more variety of plants to the "light" side and creating more height on the jungle side.

For years I had only plastic plants in my tanks, they were easy to take care of then early last year I started adding live plants with mixed results. Now I only want live plants in my tanks except for some fry grass I have in my tetra tank (hoping for tetra fry) My java ferns turned brown after awhile but have new sprouts on the leaves. I been trying to add more anubias nana to my tetra tank.

I never worry about the back and side walls, those belong to the fish. As long as the front wall is clean I am happy.
Thought just occured to me, I bet the fish are less stressed with those three sides being buffered with the green!

I switched over to a black background on my community tank, so here are before, during, and after photos.

BeforeView attachment 118031

During (no background)
View attachment 118032

I was actually surprised that I didn't mind the look with no background, but since this tank is in a window the background isn't optional.

And after
View attachment 118033
Most notable thing....algae! I didn't realize how much algae I had on the glass lol. The outside of my tank also needs to be cleaned.

And now just some random photos.
Peach was feeling extra photogenic today.
View attachment 118034
View attachment 118040

The "jungle" side of the tank. Featuring a very sad java fern that didn't do well in my other tank, so I tried to see if it would recover in this tank. Looks like a no.
View attachment 118041

And the "light" side of the tank featuring my ludwigia which I just trimmed and replanted yesterday so some are a bit sorry looking at the moment
View attachment 118043

Harlequins
View attachment 118044
Is the java fern floating? Also is that frogbit? I love that look, and love that I can see how good the plants are working, growing roots, providing shade, and looking wild!

Is the java fern floating? Also is that frogbit? I love that look, and love that I can see how good the plants are working, growing roots, providing shade, and looking wild!

The java fern is attatched to the rocks making the little "cave system" on that side. And my floating plants are two variations of Water Sprite (ceratopteris thalictroides). I'm very happy with the water sprite - like you said, they're providing excellent shade and giving a very natural look to the tank. I also like that they are very easy to manage and keep in a certain spot. I have nothing corraling them to one half - I just push them over there and they stay. Granted my surface agitation isn't very high, but it's enough to keep everything clear. They're also very fast growing, like most floating plants, and have helped clear up some of my more problematic algae :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back