New Baby Girl Bettas and Ick Breakout

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

Silencedogood

Fishaholic
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Two days ago I purchased two baby girl bettas. One seems healthy but I thought the other one's gills looked kind of red. Is that just me or what could be the cause of that?
Betta1.jpg

Betta2.jpg
Betta3.jpg
Betta4.jpg
Betta5.jpg

Second, I noticed that several of my fish have ick. I know I should treat with salt and increasing the water temperature, but I have two plecos and a ton of plants that I don't want to injure. Should I move the infected fish to my 20 gallon and treat them in there or should I just move all of them?

You don't need to use salt for treating ich, just raise the temperature to 30 deg c/86 deg F and leave it at that level for 2 weeks, or a week after the last spot disappears whichever is longer. Use a thermometer which goes in the water to measure the temperature, not the heater setting.

Moving the infected fish is pointless as the parasite is in the water.

The betta looks fine to me, she is so pale and almost see through that it's the normal gill colour showing through.

How long has the tank been set up? Is it cycled?

The tank has been set up for 3 years and it is fully cycled. The only reason I can think of that caused the ick is that I added 10 new guppies 2 weeks ago from my LFS.

The tank has been set up for 3 years and it is fully cycled. The only reason I can think of that caused the ick is that I added 10 new guppies 2 weeks ago from my LFS.
guppies and bettas should not naturally be together, their natural ph and kh is different
(right when i turned around to write this, one of the small snails jumped down from the top of the tank lol)

My bettas have always thrived in my community tank with my livebearers. I generally try to keep my ph around 7-7.2 and I believe the ph for bettas is 7.0.

My bettas have always thrived in my community tank with my livebearers. I generally try to keep my ph around 7-7.2 and I believe the ph for bettas is 7.0.
yes, livebearers like it 7.5+
its fine if the bettas are local and can live in higher phs i heard.
id rather keep the livebearers in higher ph and gh
whats your gh?

I raise the bettas in my water, so I think they do well in it.
The gh is around 200 ppm.

Update:
I just noticed that my female betta has ick all over her fins and the other female betta is picking on her. I have the heat set to 86 degrees F. Not sure if I should be doing something else?
@Colin_T @PheonixKingZ

Update:
I just noticed that my female betta has ick all over her fins and the other female betta is picking on her. I have the heat set to 86 degrees F. Not sure if I should be doing something else?
@Colin_T @PheonixKingZ
it might be good, because higher temp is making the ich live shorter, faster lives so it will get rid of it faster

If any fish have ich, all the fish in the same tank are likely to catch it. And fish in other tanks are also at risk if the same water changing equipment is used on all tanks.

Raise the temperature to 86 deg F, as measured by a thermometer inside the water, and leave it at that temp for 2 weeks, or a week after the last spot disappears if that's longer.

Two fish died today, but they didn't have any ick on them. Not sure why?

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back