New 55g (208l) low-tech planted tank

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FishBR

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Nice to come back to the hobby. Here is my new 55 gallon (208 liters) fish tank. Setup:

2217 Eheim canister filter
Hydor in-line heater
Hydro III sponge filter
Marineland LED strip light
Pool filter sand and driftwood

All plants are low-light, hardy ones:

Anubias Nana
Anubias Nana Thick Leaf
Anubias Barteri Nana Long Wavy
Bucephalandra Rainbow Marble
Cryptocoryne Tropica
Cryptocoryne Mioya
Echinodorus Peruensis
Hades
Hygrophila Angustifolia
Mini Bolbitis
Water Wisteria

They were all planted today. Will see how they will do with no fertilizers or CO2.

I have been doing a fishless cycling for almost 3 weeks and it is going well (getting a lot of nitrates and nitrites). Fish are coming soon. The stocking list will be a surprise, so no questions about them :) Here are a few pics:

1.JPG
2.JPG
3.JPG

That is looking great, really like the composition you've got going on in the tank. My first thought was about fish then saw your message, look forward to seeing what you put into it!

:hi: Welcome to TFF . Keep us posted with updates when you get your fish!

Thank you. I will!

That is looking great, really like the composition you've got going on in the tank.

Thanks. I like the "island" concept". It also makes maintenance easier. I have room to put a plate in the sand during water changes :)

My first thought was about fish then saw your message, look forward to seeing what you put into it!

Fish will come next week. I will keep everyone posted.

Looks great. I suggest root tabs for at least the crypts and echinodorus. Both are heavy root feeders. It still counts as low tech ;)

Thanks for the advice. I went to a LSF today and got Seachem's Flourish Tabs. I hope they will help with the plants.

Lovely tank. The navy background is really lovely against your plants :wub: :hi::fish:

I like it too! :)

Nice start to your tank , I like the smooth river rocks. 55 gallon is a nice size tank. Not too big that it takes over a room but not too small either. It is just the right size to do a lot of things with. Here is a picture of my 55 gallon tetra tank. I converted from gravel to sand less then 2 months ago. I call it my sunken forest tank. I look forward to seeing your tank when you are done cycling and add fish. Good luck. :cool: :snap::good:

Attachments

• GEDC1446.JPG
    GEDC1446.JPG
    348.5 KB · Views: 112
Nice start to your tank , I like the smooth river rocks. 55 gallon is a nice size tank. Not too big that it takes over a room but not too small either. It is just the right size to do a lot of things with. Here is a picture of my 55 gallon tetra tank. I converted from gravel to sand less then 2 months ago. I call it my sunken forest tank. I look forward to seeing your tank when you are done cycling and add fish. Good luck. :cool: :snap::good:

Thanks. Your tank looks great, feels larger than a 55g .

I added a few rocks and moved a few small plants around. Here is a video of the tank:

Looks great, I have to use RO water to soften my hard water so I have no rocks in my tank for now. My old 55 sprang another leak again Friday so I bought a new one-made a mess and alot of work but here is a picture of my new tank.

Attachments

• GEDC1519.JPG
    GEDC1519.JPG
    261.8 KB · Views: 97

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back