New 10 gal tank stocking???

Kris2005

Reaction score
Hello, I am getting a 10 gal tank tomorrow and already trying to come up with a plan for stocking it ( after it cycles, of course ). Looking for suggestions...has to be fish that do well in soft water. Dont want live bearers as dont want to deal with inevitable overpopulation. Already have a betta and a tank of neon and black neon tetras, looking for something different this time. Dont want any type of snails. I will have miniature amazon frogbit to float in it, from one of my other tanks. I know, I sound really picky. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe sorority tank but 10 gal tank is pretty small for that, right? Thanks in advance for your help.

Hello, I am getting a 10 gal tank tomorrow and already trying to come up with a plan for stocking it ( after it cycles, of course ). Looking for suggestions...has to be fish that do well in soft water. Dont want live bearers as dont want to deal with inevitable overpopulation. Already have a betta and a tank of neon and black neon tetras, looking for something different this time. Dont want any type of snails. I will have miniature amazon frogbit to float in it, from one of my other tanks. I know, I sound really picky. Any suggestions? I was thinking maybe sorority tank but 10 gal tank is pretty small for that, right? Thanks in advance for your help.
I know you said no snails, but nerite snails would be good for that size, especially as they only breed in brackish and the eggs won't hatch. They will still lay them, they just won't blow up in population. What I would do with a 10 gallon planted would be a shrimp and sparkling gourami tank, or maybe a pair of kilifish instead(no clue if they're soft water)

I really like the idea of a shrimp and gourami tank! Never had either of those. I would probably have to have a sponge filter with shrimp right? I have a hob filter i was going to use but shrimp might get sucked up the intake. I will do more research on both of those. Thanks!

Soft water opens up many options. The "nano" fish are your best option here. Fish like Ember Tetras, or the dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras, or one of the three "dwarf" cory species, for example. These are all shoaling fish so a group of 9-12 of whichever species, and you could have two or three species in a 10g with floating plants and a sand substrate (necessary for the cories but advisable anyway).

Soft water opens up many options. The "nano" fish are your best option here. Fish like Ember Tetras, or the dwarf rasboras in the genus Boraras, or one of the three "dwarf" cory species, for example. These are all shoaling fish so a group of 9-12 of whichever species, and you could have two or three species in a 10g with floating plants and a sand substrate (necessary for the cories but advisable anyway).
Thanks for the ideas. Setting up a new tank is so much fun even if only 10 gal! I think I might have an addiction going on here. 😂

Most reactions

Back