Never done this before

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰
The alternative option I keep hearing is to leave it at my current skirt tetras and look into a couple calm community fish that don’t compete for The same swimming area. Is this something you think I should consider? Instead.

The alternative option I keep hearing is to leave it at my current skirt tetras and look into a couple calm community fish that don’t compete for The same swimming area. Is this something you think I should consider? Instead.

No, this is not good. Once you acquire a species, you need to provide what that species needs, and with shoaling fish that means a group of more than three or four or even five. Shoaling species fish will be stressed with too few, and that only makes things worse for the fish. They can become aggressive

Probably not, because in a smaller shoal the tetras will be more aggressive to any other fish, regardless of swimming level

Agreed. Also my master kit came in today. Here are those results. I was happy to see the ammonia low/ what do you think of the other two. ?

Attachments

• 2110C601-BFD3-48CF-9A34-59786754E7A1.jpeg
    2110C601-BFD3-48CF-9A34-59786754E7A1.jpeg
    193.4 KB · Views: 49
  • 4F1D5E67-7974-4B1E-AD71-700C1EF1D320.jpeg
    4F1D5E67-7974-4B1E-AD71-700C1EF1D320.jpeg
    195 KB · Views: 48
  • 5EE833EB-4437-4CE1-9DC4-874429322D5C.jpeg
    5EE833EB-4437-4CE1-9DC4-874429322D5C.jpeg
    185.7 KB · Views: 47
Agreed. Also my master kit came in today. Here are those results. I was happy to see the ammonia low/ what do you think of the other two. ?

Those are good results across the three. You always want ammonia and nitrite to be zero, and nitrate as low as you can keep it.

I am somewhat uncertain though just what the circumstances are behind these tests...from the thread I assume this is a newish tank, but how long has it been running? And are there fish in it now?

Can I just check that you've used the nitrate tester correctly, please. Did you shake bottle #2 as the instrctions said (or even more) and did you shake the test tube after adding the drops before starting the timer? Failure to shake enough gives false readings. One of the chemicals in nitrate bottle #2 settles on the bottom of the bottle and all that shaking is necessary to get it evenly distributed through the liquid.

I have several different types of tetra in my 55 gallon tetra tank, I try to keep them in shoals of at least 6, currently I have them in shoals of 10. They need to be in groups of their own kind to feel safe and not be stressed

I did I made sure to read it all then do it step by step. I assumed I could seed from the start of the old tank. But my kit today pretty much tells me I have essentially an unclycled tank. Huh? With zeros across the board. At this point do I keep going with water changes or add it a chemical safe start additive?

Those are good results across the three. You always want ammonia and nitrite to be zero, and nitrate as low as you can keep it.

I am somewhat uncertain though just what the circumstances are behind these tests...from the thread I assume this is a newish tank, but how long has it been running? And are there fish in it now?
Yes it has the glowfish brand skirt tetras

Just to be clear, you had a 5g and moved the filter media into the 9g to help cycle it?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back