Nerite snail... dying??

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

PrairieSunflower

Fish Gatherer
Reaction score
So, not that long ago I posted about buying a nerite snail from the local petshop where the others were dead or dying but.... I wanted to give him a chance.

The first day he zipped around eating everything in sight. After that he slowed down but he'd more or less be in a different spot every 4-6 hours.

Yesterday... He sucked himself into his shell, closed the door and has not come out even once in 24 hours.

I scooped him out to check for a bad smell, all clear so I put him back.

I know he may be in bad shape from his life before I got him.... is that catching up with him now or is this normal?

A year or so back I had a smaller horned nerite and he moved more.

Sent from my EVA-L09 using Tapatalk

Hard to tell to be honest really.

Some snails DO stay in their shells and not move for a few days, not really sure why they do this.
I have had this happen with my assassin snails, never really found out why and after a day or three they are fien and zippign about as normal. Maybe its R & R after a feast or soemthing.

Though must mention, nerites can be hard to feed especially if theyre wild caught. If tank bred and fed on algae wafers, youre good but if wild then you may need to cultivate some algae for the nerite to feed on.

This can easily be done, get one or two pieces of glass and put the glass in a shallow dish of water and leave on your window sill where they get direct sunlight, you should get some green alage pretty quick within a couple of day.

Then simply put the glass int he tank for the snail to feed on the algae, then take out once cleared of algae then add another piece of glass of algae when needed. Hence why having two pieces would ensure you have a supply of algae for them.

Be sure to the glass is not sharp or has jagged edges, also ensure the glass is not so big that makes it diificult to add to the tank and inadvertedly makes alteration to water flow and swimming space for tank mates.

I am trying to use a small kids size glass for growing algae but nothing is coming of it.

Put that glass flat in a shallow container, a dish, plate or a plastic tub, whatever is handy as long as clean and maybe a cm max of water covering the glass, leave on windowsill where gets most sun throughout the day and leave for a few days.

You should get algae this way, I do this myself and get algae without any issues tbh.

My tank is recovering after meds for months, the meds have been cleared and my remaining plants cut back but thriving.

How did you clear the meds from the tank? In my experience, they must be thoroughly removed as nerites are very sensitive to medication. I have killed more than one by returning it to the tank too soon after treatment :oops:

How did you clear the meds from the tank? In my experience, they must be thoroughly removed as nerites are very sensitive to medication. I have killed more than one by returning it to the tank too soon after treatment :oops:
I did several water changes to change the water then popped in a small filter full of carbon and ran that for several days before getting the snail.

I usually run a few batches of carbon followed by PolyFilter - the stuff that used to be made by Underworld and is now made by Arcadia, not ordinary filter wool. PolyFilter is too expensive to use a lot of so I save it for the last remnants that are left by the batches of carbon. This may well be over the top, but having killed snails on more than one occasion, I prefer to do more than is necessary.

Most reactions

Back