Neon Tetras

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Status
Not open for further replies.
I did have live plants but I found I couldn't kepe them as the tank didn't have enough lights in the top to keep them alive. So I switched to fake, silk plants.
Do you get fish dye in your tanks alot. We just found a dead neon one of the blue ones. The one with the gash is still going my boyfriend reckons its not a gash its where the eggs are coming out. I am not to sure. How long do they lay eggs for its been a couple of days now? :blink:

I haven't ever hasd egg layers breeding in my tanks yet.
She could be taking her time to lay the eggs if she's stressed. If you can put her somewhere where she can be alone with lots of hiding places then that would be best, the take her out when she has finished, if she doesn't change then more picture will be needed a maybe treatment.

did you get any pictures, that would be your best bet of finding out whats going on
I tried my best to take some pics but I cant seem to get a good enough one. I cant seem to catch her to put her in the breeding tank she is very fast. She is hiding in the plants so she is away from the others. The others dont seem to be bothering her either so I give up. I wanted to put meds in for her but my boyfriend dont want to put it in. cos he said the ph levels are high and oxigen levels will be low putting meds in will lower oxigen levens even more. This may course the other fish stress as well leaving us with more sick fish!! I put in fish loss every time I change the water this helps the fish recover from any cuts. WHAT DO YOU CALL A FISH WITH NO EYE FSH! HE HE HE THOUGHT I WOULD SHARE THAT!

And an air stone and add some melafix. Thus raising the oxygen levels and medicating your neon. It won't affect the other fish.

And an air stone and add some melafix. Thus raising the oxygen levels and medicating your neon. It won't affect the other fish.
I will have to buy some of that melafix it sounds like you swear by it. My neon with the gash dyed thats two this week now. We thought we was doing well to never mind. I have decided not to get any more neon what ever happens. We got garamis in there, is it possible they could be getiing attached by these? I know they are a lot bigger then them. Do you get many dead fish in your tank?

Melafix is doing an awesome job on my bettas. Getting their fins nice and tidy.

I had 21 neon tetras at one point, after adding them to my main tank I'd say within 2 weeks they had all died. I had no idea how. I had 4 surviving fish. So had to start practically from scratch.
Wouldn't know about the gouramis but I guess look out for any nipping, neons are too small really for big fish.

Melafix is doing an awesome job on my bettas. Getting their fins nice and tidy.

I had 21 neon tetras at one point, after adding them to my main tank I'd say within 2 weeks they had all died. I had no idea how. I had 4 surviving fish. So had to start practically from scratch.
Wouldn't know about the gouramis but I guess look out for any nipping, neons are too small really for big fish.
Emmm dont sound like neons are the fish to have then! We added them to our tank first cos they said they was hardy but I dont know about that now. I have noticed the flying fox going for them now I have been watching them. When we find dead fish in the tank the eyes have been eaten out is that normal? Its horrible to descover thats for sure. We did have a clown lurch in their I liked him but he dyed I would like some of them if my neons dye. Hows your new tank going? :hyper:

Neons used to be a hardy fish until they started breeding them in the same water so they wouldn't adapt. After a little while as they couldn't adapt as well as wild neons they sometimes would find it hard adapting to other fish tanks. Thus why they die so easily.

Fish that die are free food. They will go for the eyes as they are the best?
I'd come home one day and say my 2 kuhli loaches eating a dead fishes stomach. Weird stuff.

My new tank is going ok. Only got a male betta n 2 kuhli's. Should be moving the Betta out n getting some molly fry. :good:

Neons used to be a hardy fish until they started breeding them in the same water so they wouldn't adapt. After a little while as they couldn't adapt as well as wild neons they sometimes would find it hard adapting to other fish tanks. Thus why they die so easily.

Fish that die are free food. They will go for the eyes as they are the best?
I'd come home one day and say my 2 kuhli loaches eating a dead fishes stomach. Weird stuff.

My new tank is going ok. Only got a male betta n 2 kuhli's. Should be moving the Betta out n getting some molly fry. :good:
Oh cool I love mollies, they are really nice they are greedy thou arnt they? we got some meds for the tank today. They checked the fish water out too. Everything is ok encluding the ph but phosphate is high in the water. This will course algee to glow, we got a brita filta now hoping this will do the trick. Fish got no respect for each other eatting each others bodies when they dye errrrr mad or what! :blink: I seen really pritty looking fish in pet shop today but they only just come in she didnt know the name of them. They too was eatting a dead one in the tank it put me off them then.

Not sure if mollies are greedy.

I'm pretty sure all fish will eat dead ones. :/
We had mollies and they was greedy buggers. My boyfriend use to feed them 3 times a day thats what it said on the food see. Our water was really bad then our fish dyed. We only feed them now every other day like the pet shop told us. Why does it state on pack to feed them that much? I really want a clown lurch again I loved the one we had. We put tiger barbs in and there was may em. We lost 3 of our fish and they killed 4 of their own. Then white spot broke ou to finish us off. But its all sorted now, I get so excited when our water is ok sad really! x :lol:

Personally I would feed them once or twice a day. 3times is too much and you will get too much crap appearing in your tank and your bacteria won't be able to keep up.

Personally I would feed them once or twice a day. 3times is too much and you will get too much crap appearing in your tank and your bacteria won't be able to keep up.
Yes thats what they said at pet shop. What fish have you found quiet hardy fish? The ones in the pet shops that they have suggested have dyed for us. We find the garamis quiet hardy but want something that will go with them. Our neons are ok at the moment but we always seem to loss one or two. We did have rednose tetras they dyed guppies dyed to quickly too. Its hard work plus expensive too.

Never had expericne with gouramis. So you'd have to read up on that.

I'd say platies were quite hardy. I got 7 of them in a 5 week old cycled tank and they were fine. However do some research, there may be community fish that can tolerate a wide range of pHs and nitrates etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

trending

Back