April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

scottyboy1291

Reaction score
hello I have a 30 gal freshwater tank. Fish in the tank are as followed
7- neon tetra (was 9)
1- eyespot puffer
2- cichlids (one electric yellow, with babies in mouth) and one super small albino
1- spotted clown knife fish
1- goldfish
2- ram cichlids
1- red claw crab
1- fiddler crab
1- pleco
And some guppies

I am just curious what could be eating the tetras. There’s nothing left over. They just vanish. I thought the cichlids or the ram but they are way too small in my opinion. Any suggestions??

Any suggestions??
Get a couple more tanks and spread the fish out.

Puffers eat small fish, nip at big fish, and should be kept in a single species tank.
Knife fish eat small fish.
Crabs eat anything including fish.

electric yellow cichlids need hard alkaline water (GH above 300ppm, pH above 7.6).
guppies need hard alkaline water (GH around 200ppm, pH above 7.0).
goldfish needs hard water with a GH above 150ppm, pH above 7.0).

neon tetras, rams and plecos need soft water (GH below 150ppm, pH around 7.0 or a bit lower).

crabs are generally from brackish water (contains some salt and has a pH above 7.0) and should not be kept with fish because they hunt them at night.

----------------------------
Your tank is not big enough for all those fish. The pleco can grow to 2 foot long. Knife fish can reach 12 inches plus.

You have some major compatibility issues and in a few months time there won't be many, if any fish left. Take some back to the shop you got them from or set up some more tanks.

The goldfish could be making snacks out of small Tetras too. Goldfish are not compatible with tropical fish. They are a cool water fish and need to be kept with other goldfish.

Most reactions

Back