Neon Tetra Losing Colour

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

JezTaylor

Reaction score
I've just noticed that one of my Neon Tetra's has pale patches on its red stripe. After a quick Google search, it very sadly looks like neon tetra disease. That said, I need to be sure before I carry out what would be my first euthanasian.

Other than these pale patches, the fish seems to be behaving normally. He has just fed (when I noticed it), is swimming normally and is still hanging out with the other neons (although he did seem to chase them a bit). All the others seem to be fine.

My tank is 64l, has 6 neons (added added in October) and 2 platies (added in June). No trace of ammonia and I do weekly water changes.

Any thoughts or advice would be appreciated!

I sincerely hope that it's not Pleistophora. Can you take it out and put it in a separate tank, even this can be to late if it is what you suspect. You probably know by now that it is not just Neons that can be affected by this disease and there is no known cure as I know of. Have you tested the water for Nitrites and Nitrates?

does it look like a white salt piece? could be the start of ick. 

It's not like a salt piece, it's more patchy. I moved him into a separate tank on Monday night, so far there doesn't seem to be any change. He isn't very active, but I'd have thought that's normal for a fish in isolation.

If it is Pleistophora, does anyone know how long it usually takes to really take hold?

dave840f1, yes I have seen that it also effects other fish. Currently the only other fish are 2 platies, do you think they would be ok?
Nitrate and nitrite are normal.

I think Platies will be ok. If the fish is still alive now I personally think it's not Pleistophora as it is usually a fast killer. Try treating it with a antibacterial med. you never know it may pull through. All the best.

Fingers crossed you're right. I'm treating with Melafix, will let you know what happens.

The other problem is that I'm moving house this weekend, so I'm either going to have to destroy him or mix him with the other fish for a time :-/

dave840f1 said:
How are the fish?
The good news is all the fish are still alive (they even survived moving house, which I was extremely concerned about). The bad news is, our little neon tetra is still no better.

As it's clearly not neon tetra disease I guess it must be bacterial, but Melafix doesn't seem to have helped. I'm now going to try Interpet Anti Internal Bacteria so hopefully I'll see some better results.

Sorry I've been on my January break in the UK  so not kept up with the thread. How are the fish now, I've not heard of Melafix what does it treat?

dave840f1 said:
Sorry I've been on my January break in the UK  so not kept up with the thread. How are the fish now, I've not heard of Melafix what does it treat?
Thanks for coming back Dave. Unfortunately I put him down at the weekend. Having treated the tank with Melafix (for bacterial infections) and Pimafix (for fungal diseases) he didn't seem to be making any recovery. When I saw that he had started swimming round at the surface I decided that enough was enough and it would probably be kindest to accept defeat and let him go. Very sad, but the rest of them seem to be doing ok.

Hopefully that will be my last problem for awhile.

I always had trouble dealing with the death of a fish, especially when I have to kill them myself.
You did the best thing, that fish was probably already in great pain and you just helped him go away! :)

I'm really sorry for your loss, I know how you feel they may be only fish to some people but to me they are part of the family.

Most reactions

trending

Back