Neon Strange Deposite, Maybe An Egg?

keenonfish

Fish Addict
Joined
Sep 23, 2008
Messages
895
Reaction score
0
Points
0
Location
Manchester, UK
A couple of days ago I went to feed my fish. I have noticed on the last few occasions previously one of my Neons has hung near the bottom during feeding so a little concerned I watched it this time. I noticed something whitish near it's rear end and then it dive bombed the gravel and deposited a tiny milky white almost tear shaped thing.
Now I quickly picked it up (using a syringe) and put this 'thing into the nursery net. Baby platies started picking so I moved to my catch net.

Now this morning I am a little confused because this thing has completely disappeared! I have checked and checked all parts of the net for anything to no avail. Maybe a fish has sucked it through the net (I think unlikely) or a snail has got in and found it tasty I don't know but yesterday it was their now it is gone :huh:

Does anyone know if this could have been an egg? The whole behavior thing suggests this to me but not being experienced I cannot be sure! One thing I do know is that the fish in question is behaving normally now.
 
eggs are clear and round, not white. Unsure what your thing is :)
 
Oh ok well that's strange isn't it! I would swear it looked like the fish took advantage of the others being distracted and purposely discharged it! I wonder if the thing just dissolved if not an egg then? I am really intrigued now!
 
if it happens again take a pic of it and post it here. Maybe someone else has seen something like it before :)
 
Hi, keenonfish

I knew there was something familiar about that and just came across something in my notes while looking for something unrelated.

(Murphy's variable and multi-application Law - you won't find it until you're looking for something else...)

[URL="http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA041"]http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA041[/URL]

(From below: )
Tetrahymena
Tetrahymena is a protozoan commonly found living in organic debris at the bottom of an aquarium or vat. Tetrahymena is a teardrop-shaped ciliate ( Figure 4 ) that moves along the outside of the host. The presence of Tetrahymena on the body surface in low numbers (less than five organisms per low power field) is probably not significant. It is commonly found on dead material and is associated with high organic loads. Therefore, observing Tetrahymena on fish, which have been on the tank bottom, does not imply the parasite is the primary cause of death. One treatment of a chemical listed in Table 1 should be adequate for control. ...

Don't know if that's it, but it sounds possible.

Edit: missed a bracket and I was afraid words might slide out of the sentence if it wasn't installed...
 
it won't be Tetrahymena. Protozoan parasites like that are tiny and cannot be seen without a microscope or magnifying glass.
 
Hi, keenonfish

I knew there was something familiar about that and just came across something in my notes while looking for something unrelated.

(Murphy's variable and multi-application Law - you won't find it until you're looking for something else...)

<a href="http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA041" target="_blank">http://edis.ifas.ufl.edu/FA041</a>

(From below: )
Tetrahymena
Tetrahymena is a protozoan commonly found living in organic debris at the bottom of an aquarium or vat. Tetrahymena is a teardrop-shaped ciliate ( Figure 4 ) that moves along the outside of the host. The presence of Tetrahymena on the body surface in low numbers (less than five organisms per low power field) is probably not significant. It is commonly found on dead material and is associated with high organic loads. Therefore, observing Tetrahymena on fish, which have been on the tank bottom, does not imply the parasite is the primary cause of death. One treatment of a chemical listed in Table 1 should be adequate for control. ...

Don't know if that's it, but it sounds possible.

Edit: missed a bracket and I was afraid words might slide out of the sentence if it wasn't installed...

Well thanks for digging that up for me. All appears quite healthy though and I have just removed 7 fry all of which appear healthy not lost one to my knowledge. I think my loading is at near maximum for such a small tank but everyone seems real happy and while plants have been dieing very slowly I am quick to clean up.

Oh this thing was perhaps 1/2mm (+/- 1/4mm) and I am convinced it came from within the fish..

Thanks anyway.
 
it won't be Tetrahymena. Protozoan parasites like that are tiny and cannot be seen without a microscope or magnifying glass.

Thank you for being my brain again, Colin_T, I realized what should have been appalling obvious AFTER I'd posted and crawled off for a nap, then forgot it again.
Lord knows I've managed without one for years, but it's getting a bit tricky lately.
If only you'd date my very pretty female betta, who has a terrible crush on your avatar, I could borrow your brain far more frequently...

We'll hope it's not a parasite, but there are so very many...
 

Most reactions

Back
Top