Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

LongS

Fishaholic
Reaction score
I have just lost my wee guy after only a month of having him. My water stats are great as are most of my other fish.

The female i got him with also seem fine.

The problem is this. The first thing i noticed was a red spot by his mouth. Then he started just staying in one spot in the tank and not moving much. Then he started to look bloated. then there was some white stringy crap. Then i found him dead at the bottom.

Now my male guppy has started to hang at the top of the tank like he is gasping for air. is this connected?

What meds do you think i need to use? Bearing in mind i have a few loaches in the tank also.

The only new additions to the tank have been two hillstream loaches that i added at the weekend.

Opinions would be greatly appreciated.

I lost all three of mine ( 1 male & female) in a week period about 4 weeks after getting them.....One had been in the hospital tank with anti-internal and daily 20% Water changes without any joy in saving him.

Tank size, inhabitants and actual water stats please!

At a guess, internal bacteria and use interpet anti internal bacteria meds, increase oxygen in the tank and do a water change before dosing.

Dwarf Gourami and notorius for being inbred these days, if you really like them have a look for natural coloured Thick Lipped Gourami (not the red ones)

Ok, Tank size: 100 litres

Fish: 2 female guppies, 7 WCMM, 1 female dwarf gourami, 1 zebra loach, 2 hillstream loaches, and a load of guppy fry.

Just lost the male guppy, i put him in the hospital tank with interpet anti internal but no use. Looks like he might have had fin rot too :unsure:

Water stats: Ammonia 0, Nitites 0, nitrates very low even before water change done a few days ago. Not sure on the exact mumber but was well in the resonable zone inm the colour chart.

I treated the whole tank last month with melfix when one of my male guppies had finrot, but he died anyway.

What should i do? I'm not sure about loaches and medications. I have a small hospital tank also.

Advice please?

Just noticed you added hillstream loaches - they like cooler very well oxygenated water also did you quarentine them?

I'd do a water change, treat with anti internal bacteria med (follow instructions for 'scaleless' fish and your loaches should be ok), increase oxygen and drop temp to 24deg C if it is any higher.

Consider using pimafix alongside the other med (this is safe) as it could have been bacterial finrot.

The hillstream loaches i have were sold to me as Small plecs! they were being kept at 27 degrees in the shop! and i was told that they were very easy to keep, and no special requirements. Unfortunatly i have no where else to put them so i am accomodating for them as best i can.

Obviously when i actually found out what they were i was shocked. After a little reading up about them i found out they could be kept up to 24 degrees. No problem there as that is what i set my tank to. (although lately with the warm weather its more like 25-26 degrees).

But no i did not quarentine them, they seem very healthy, and i have added an airstone and the filter flow creates good water adjitation.

If i am being honest i think that my guppies may just be very weak as they are most likely inbred. The minnows are tough as hell and have had no problems ever since i got them. Likewise the zebra loach too.

I will add the meds this week then. Is pimafix similar to melafix then? or samething with different name?

Thanks again for the advice :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back