Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami

Schmill

Fish Herder
Joined
Apr 9, 2008
Messages
1,329
Reaction score
1
Points
38
Location
GB
Are these guys going to be happy / suitable for a community tank? The FS has them marked up as peaceful, but then I've seen some threads on here about Gourami being vicous?
This is planned for when my 300L tank is cycled.

Other fish will be:

Cardinal tetras
Rainbow Praecox
Guppies
Albino Corys
Bulldog Plecos
BristleNose Plecos

Also other suggestions welcome :)

EDIT: (Forgot to link pictures!)
Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami:
Photo-0450.jpg


Neon Blue Dwarf Gourami with price:
Photo-0449.jpg
 
read this before buying a dwarf gourami

http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=153493

the larger gouramis are often agressive, the dwarfs less so, but they are prone to a specific infection that only affects DG's, a lot of experienced aquarists just struggle to keep them alive. :/

nice combination of fish there, i'd put in some dwarf cichlids such as apistogramma instead of the DG's :good:
 
read this before buying a dwarf gourami

[URL="http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=153493"]http://www.fishforums.net/index.php?showtopic=153493[/URL]

the larger gouramis are often agressive, the dwarfs less so, but they are prone to a specific infection that only affects DG's, a lot of experienced aquarists just struggle to keep them alive. :/

nice combination of fish there, i'd put in some dwarf cichlids such as apistogramma instead of the DG's :good:

I think I had already read that, which is what made me unsure, but when I saw the tank of them yesterday I was once again tempted by their beauty!
I don't want to waste my money though, or risk the other fish, so shall look into the dwarf cichlids you mentioned.
Out of interest when the LFS (and not so LFS) tend to have the same species over and over is it ok to buy fish online from somewhere, or is that generally recommended against?
 
no, it depends on where you get them from though.

i've heard horror stories but there are places with excellent reports all round so just do a bit of research and get somewhere decent.

the best one i've found and a lot of members here will back me up, is trimar. if you can't find what you want on their website it's worth a call or e-mail as well as they may be able to get hold of something for you on their next order and send it out.

likewise it's worth asking the staff in the lfs if they can order anything else in for you. they'll only stock things that will sell as standard but they can normally get hold of a lot of other things as well.
 
Hey,

I'm new around here but I thought I'd chime in all the same for what it's worth!

I keep 4 (male) Dwarf Gourami in a 60L tank. This is too many really as they can be quite territorial and will certainly chase each other but it's never vicious and they certainly won't nip at each other (or anything else). I'd say that in a 300L tank you could easily get away with at least 2 or 3 of these.

I've read about Dwarf Gourami disease as well but so far, touch wood, my 4 have been fine (I've had them for about 7 weeks). On the American forum I also read, most people won't keep them at all because of this disease but I don't know if it's any worse over there than here in the UK.

Apart from the slight in-fighting, they get on really well with the Guppies and Upside Down Catfish I keep them with. They're also very beautfiul, active, and very curious as to what's going on! They always come to the front of the tank when I'm watching them or feeding them and spend the rest of their time playing amongst themselves.

In short, I'd say these are fantastic fish and even though I'm a newbie I'd recommend them to anyone!

Hope this helps,
Dan
 
My 5 penth worth.......

Tried 3 times over a long period of time to keep the very fish you mentioned. I had it all.....obviously cycled and a very mature tank. Perfect and consistant water stats. Well planted and the advised stocking level (ie 1 male to 2 females) and calm tank mates.

3 times all ended with bacterial infections (very prone) and eventual death dispite medication. Usually between 2-4 months.

Only deaths I seem to have ever had, don't like failure hence I wouldn't bother with them ever again dispite their great looks :no:

Other's, however, have succeeded where I have failed :sad:
 

Most reactions

Back
Top