neocaridina or cardina shrimp

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Meg0000

Fish Addict
Reaction score
Hi, I decided I was probably going to do shrimp breeding in my 10 gallon tank. I heard that caridina shrimps where hard to keep and I am not even sure I could breed them in 10 gallon... Would that be possible? Also my water is on the softer side (PH:6.8-7 GH:3-5). What would be better cardina or neocaridina shrimps?

Red cherry shrimps are usually quoted as being the easiest shrimps to start with. I have them and my water is similar to yours. I used to have mine in a 45 litre tank (12 gallons) and when I had to close the tank I moved the shrimps into my main tank. I caught over 90 of them, from adults to newly hatched babies. And I hate to think of how many babies I didn't find.

Red cherry shrimps are usually quoted as being the easiest shrimps to start with. I have them and my water is similar to yours. I used to have mine in a 45 litre tank (12 gallons) and when I had to close the tank I moved the shrimps into my main tank. I caught over 90 of them, from adults to newly hatched babies. And I hate to think of how many babies I didn't find.
How many did you start out with? How long were they in the tank before you moved them? Sorry for the probably useless questions, just curious:)

I had neocaradina, red cherry shrimp. I attempted to take them to the lfs. I took over 100 in less than a year. Started out with 17. When I got home, I found 3 babies and a berried mother so I filled the tank back up. I have over 20 again now in about 2 months time.

How many did you start out with? How long were they in the tank before you moved them? Sorry for the probably useless questions, just curious:)
I've looked though my notes a bit more thoroughly.
I originally bought 10 shrimps.
27 July I found the last female dead and discovered baby shrimps in the QT.
20 September, the shrimps were now big enough to count - there were 10. Two of the largest shrimps had developed saddles - 9 weeks after they hatched.
5 October, one of the shrimps with a saddle was now carrying eggs (berried)
14 October I moved half of the shrimps to their future home, leaving 5 in the QT including 2 berried females.
22 October I noticed one of the berried females was no longer berried, did a water change and found 7 baby shrimps in the bucket.
27 October - the second berried female was no longer carrying eggs. I also found a shed skin with half a dozen white eggs inside - were those infertile?
23 December - moved all the shrimps from the QT to their proper home.

In total I moved 21 shrimps from the QT. 10 of these were shrimps born on 27 July and 11 were born to the two females from that first batch.

I'm afraid I don't keep such meticulous records. I also bought 10 - on-line in my case. 3 of these died in the first week and the next 4 or 5 weeks I was anxiously counting shrimps and watching the progress of the berried girls every day. Then a couple of weeks of even higher anxiety. The berries had gone and I could see no shrimplets. And suddenly one day my tank was full of shrimplets.

I don't usually, I mainly just keep records of what I bought and when. But after the problems with the shrimps I bought dying one by one, I started making notes to see if there was any correlation between deaths, water changes, which type of food etc and I just kept on going :)

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back