Needle Nose Gar - Cleaning Tank

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

jstand22

Reaction score
I know people have been bitten by their needle nose gars while cleaning their tanks....I'm not really interetested in experiencing such a bite, does anyone have any special ways of cleaning/vaccuming the tank to prevent them from biting? I cleaned yesterday and he would get pretty close to my arm, but I sort of shooed him off...any advice?

They are pretty skittish fish that would rather run flee than fight, so there shouldn't be too many problems. Treat them like piranhas and you should be okay. Don't crowd them into a corner or piss them off. Don't stick one or two fingers in at a time, quickly stick your whole hand in there. If you stick one finger in there, it may look like food. I doubt he is getting close to your arm because he is viewing it as prey. He is probably just curious as to what it is.

Ryan

They are pretty skittish fish that would rather run flee than fight, so there shouldn't be too many problems. Treat them like piranhas and you should be okay. Don't crowd them into a corner or piss them off. Don't stick one or two fingers in at a time, quickly stick your whole hand in there. If you stick one finger in there, it may look like food. I doubt he is getting close to your arm because he is viewing it as prey. He is probably just curious as to what it is.

Ryan

Yea I have 2 Needle nose and one of them is gettin really big but like ryan said , ive never been bittin but stick your full hand in . The only advise i would give is emply half your tank first cuz they are jumpers . I have 2 cichlids and an electric blue lobster and a balla shark all in one and they are pretty friendly my one cichlid fought the lobster once over teritory now they just keep thier distance on each side of the tank ..

cheers
shaun

Most reactions

Back