Need your opinions on my cory situation

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
šŸ† Click to enter! šŸ†

I was unsure wether it would be better to have some lonely and stressed hastatus or some mutt cories. Thank you for your help!

I agree that this is the main issue/problem. Give the pair a chance to spawn, but I would not let them be alone for too long.

So my plan going forward is to try to encourage the hastatus to breed in my 10 gallon. It currently has sand, lots of plants, some driftwood. Iā€™m going to order some Indian almond leaves, cholla wood, alder cones, maybe some anubias. Should I get a new piece of driftwood? The one I currently have is a manzanita branch, been in my aquarium since April. I didnā€™t know if a newer piece would have any kinds of benefits?

This sounds a good plan. Old wood is preferable to new here, because it is going to have infusoria on it. At the same time a new piece added would have tannins which are more beneficial than not, but of the two I would go with the older wood if a choice has to be made.

Rather than ask Ian directly, I posted the question on his site, thinking that Ian is in the UK and the NA members might have more up-to-date info on availability. And I seem to have guessed correctly. One US member advised that someone found C. hastatus in a Petco somewhere in Washington state. Others noted that we are getting into the collection period in South America, and should see this species in the next few months. You may have luck with The Wet Spot then.

This sounds a good plan. Old wood is preferable to new here, because it is going to have infusoria on it. At the same time a new piece added would have tannins which are more beneficial than not, but of the two I would go with the older wood if a choice has to be made.
Ok, perfect. Maybe I'll use both:shifty:

Rather than ask Ian directly, I posted the question on his site, thinking that Ian is in the UK and the NA members might have more up-to-date info on availability. And I seem to have guessed correctly. One US member advised that someone found C. hastatus in a Petco somewhere in Washington state. Others noted that we are getting into the collection period in South America, and should see this species in the next few months. You may have luck with The Wet Spot then.
Oooooo that is very interesting! That would be so wonderful if they do start showing up around here soon. I hope to get at least 6 to 16 more depending on price and availability. Thank you for your help!

Well that was awfully quick. Cories were all settled in their own 10 gallon tank last night, I hadnā€™t used the light yet. This morning I turned on their light and added some ice cubes to the filter (I had heard that water changes with cooler water sometimes trigger them to spawn, but wasnā€™t able to do a water change this morning) before leaving to run some errands for the day. I just got home and am pretty sure those are two little eggs on the silicone. They could be bubbles, but I donā€™t recall seeing them this morning when I was checking on the tank. Itā€™s nearly impossible to tell though because theyā€™re on the silicone, and I canā€™t get behind the tank to look at them because itā€™s against the wall
C19F074A-5577-4522-B081-163968F759A9.jpeg

tbh - I think we all get situations where we are "phasing out" an old shoal.... the other option would be to continue keeping that species forever.

Although in your case I realise you actually genuinely do want more. I've never seen any of the 3 small cories on sale tbh. Closest I seen to small cory are pandas.
Yeah. I would have loved to continue keeping the Hastatus cories, in a school I mean. I went out and bought 7 more Pygmy Cories so now have 11. Theyā€™ve grown on me a lot tbh and I feel more alright with phasing out the hastatus.

ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”ā€”

The Cories most definitely layed eggs, but after about 2 days most disappeared and the others detached from the glass and never hatched. Do I wait and let them try again? Do I add them with my group of Pygmies and give up? Water change is tonight. If Iā€™m honest though, I feel very alright with not trying to continue keeping the Cory hastatus. It makes me feel bad theres only 2 of them, but what else can I do but give them a school of the next best thing (Pygmy Cories)?

The Cories most definitely layed eggs, but after about 2 days most disappeared and the others detached from the glass and never hatched. Do I wait and let them try again? Do I add them with my group of Pygmies and give up? Water change is tonight. If Iā€™m honest though, I feel very alright with not trying to continue keeping the Cory hastatus. It makes me feel bad theres only 2 of them, but what else can I do but give them a school of the next best thing (Pygmy Cories)?

I think I have offered my advice previously, but that's OK. This is a very serious concern, though judging from another thread today not everyone cares. Some people should not be in this hobby [not you, I'm just venting my frustration and disgust!].

Just to ensure I understand, the two (three?) C. hastatus actually did spawn, so that means they are male/female. However, I'm not sure how much this can play out with this species, but it is always possible you have two females (you obviously have one or eggs would not appear) and the eggs never hatched because they were not fertilized. Maybe another member knows the extent this is possible with cories [@DoubleDutch ??]. You could try again. Or you can put them in with the C. pygmaeus and make sure any and all fry are never given/sold to anyone but remain until death in your tanks. That was/is my decision with my cories that definitely have cross-bred. I only hope they die before I do.

I think I have offered my advice previously, but that's OK. This is a very serious concern, though judging from another thread today not everyone cares. Some people should not be in this hobby [not you, I'm just venting my frustration and disgust!].
Yes, you have offered a lot of great advice. Which thread, if you donā€™t mind me asking? I want to give Them the chance to breed, but also want them with other Cories as soon as possible.
Just to ensure I understand, the two (three?) C. hastatus actually did spawn, so that means they are male/female. However, I'm not sure how much this can play out with this species, but it is always possible you have two females (you obviously have one or eggs would not appear) and the eggs never hatched because they were not fertilized. Maybe another member knows the extent this is possible with cories [@DoubleDutch ??]. You could try again. Or you can put them in with the C. pygmaeus and make sure any and all fry are never given/sold to anyone but remain until death in your tanks. That was/is my decision with my cories that definitely have cross-bred. I only hope they die before I do.
Yes, the two hastatus did spawn, but no eggs hatched. I have a 20 gallon long tank with my now 11 Pygmies and a bristlenose pleco. My hope is for the final stocking to include something that will eat the eggs so there are no crossed babies (I am thinking some neon tetras and/or a female betta), but of course if there were any I would take full responsibility for not allowing them into the rest of the hobby.

Yes, you have offered a lot of great advice. Which thread, if you donā€™t mind me asking? I want to give Them the chance to breed, but also want them with other Cories as soon as possible.

Yes, the two hastatus did spawn, but no eggs hatched. I have a 20 gallon long tank with my now 11 Pygmies and a bristlenose pleco. My hope is for the final stocking to include something that will eat the eggs so there are no crossed babies (I am thinking some neon tetras and/or a female betta), but of course if there were any I would take full responsibility for not allowing them into the rest of the hobby.

This would work, if you house the two cory species together with no thought of any further spawning for either species. It is probably the best solution here; I was previously assuming you intended allowing them to spawn (the pygmies if not the hastatus) but if not, OK. When I had my original six pygmies together with no other fish (except my Farlowella fry growing out but they were too small to eat eggs) the pygmies started spawning and by the end of the year I had over 30. I did nothing to encourage survival, just kept dried oak leaves in the tank for the Farlowella fry and obviously the cory fry fed on the infusoria and thus grew well too. I don't know to what extent the pygmies tend to eat eggs, if they even do, there were never a lot of eggs to be seen but obviously survival of a few continued to occur or I would never had had a group of 30 in the 10g tank. My last fry, now a group of seven, hatched out about four years ago, but no eggs/fry have appeared since then, though I do have I think two females and five males, and their regular natural courting antics are wondrous to behold. They are in the 29g blackwater tank now with other fish and I would not expect any eggs to survive if they did spawn, but after I moved them about 18 months ago, I saw a clear increase in "out and about" activity, and they will very frequently join in the groups of small nano tetras like one of the pack. Numbers are important.

The issue of hybridization arose here https://www.fishforums.net/threads/corydoras-schultzei-black-venezuela.476141/#post-4106132

This would work, if you house the two cory species together with no thought of any further spawning for either species. It is probably the best solution here; I was previously assuming you intended allowing them to spawn (the pygmies if not the hastatus) but if not, OK.
Ah I apologize for the misunderstanding, i do not intend to breed them with both species together.
When I had my original six pygmies together with no other fish (except my Farlowella fry growing out but they were too small to eat eggs) the pygmies started spawning and by the end of the year I had over 30. I did nothing to encourage survival, just kept dried oak leaves in the tank for the Farlowella fry and obviously the cory fry fed on the infusoria and thus grew well too. I don't know to what extent the pygmies tend to eat eggs, if they even do, there were never a lot of eggs to be seen but obviously survival of a few continued to occur or I would never had had a group of 30 in the 10g tank. My last fry, now a group of seven, hatched out about four years ago, but no eggs/fry have appeared since then, though I do have I think two females and five males, and their regular natural courting antics are wondrous to behold. They are in the 29g blackwater tank now with other fish and I would not expect any eggs to survive if they did spawn, but after I moved them about 18 months ago, I saw a clear increase in "out and about" activity, and they will very frequently join in the groups of small nano tetras like one of the pack. Numbers are important.
Ohhhhhh ok. I added 7 Pygmy Cories about a week ago, so now have 11 In a 20 long tank with a pleco and lots of plants. They are active and always out and about. When I had six of them in my 55 gallon they did nothing but hide. Numbers (and tank mates) definitely do matter!

I moved the Cory hastatus over this morning and all 13 Cories are hanging out together, swimming around and fluttering about the plants like they do. They look so happy!
D8694654-6A06-4E69-8D8C-427192A28F0B.jpeg

I need to buy the right sized light though, I am currently using the one from my 10 gallon!
I am going to buy some cabomba, floating plants, and dwarf hairgrass i think. My plan is to get some cherry shrimp sometime when the tank is more established. How long should I wait? The driftwood has been in one of my tanks for months and has some biofilm, and the filter media was snagged from an established tank if that means anything.

I am hoping to get either a female betta, some honey gourami, or some neon tetras to use the middle and top levels of the tank. I am leaning more towards a female betta or a few gourami, what are your thoughts on this?

edit: I am remembering a thread of mine which you (Byron) responded to from a while ago, and wanted to mention that the filter is low flow. Not hoping for a waterfall this time!

That look very good indeed, nice work. Yes, a longer strip light. On the plants, I would not bother with Cabomba, this needs strong light, I have tried it in various tanks and it never lasts very long. Dwarf hairgrass might have a similar issue. The chain swords are better with moderate lighting. There are crypts too, some are a nice reddish-brown. For floating, Water Sprite is ideal here; my pygmies are frequently up in the root masses, there is quite a lot of natural micro-critters in these and they feed on them. Frogbit would be OK if no WS, and a stem plant like pennywort left floating can be effective. You want good shade from floating plants, it does make quite a difference to cories.

As for fish, I do not advise bettas, female or male. Small fish...I have Paracheirodon simulans, Nannostomus eques, Hyphessobrycon amandae, and Carnegiella strigata groups in with my pygmies. This blackwater tank happens to be pictured in this month's TOTM contest. All these fish are blackwater, so share environmental requirements, and they are all very peaceful. The pencilfish do "spar" among themselves, I have four left from the original group some 7 years ago and will get more if I ever see them, and intend getting some "new blood" in pygmy cories too. The pencils will probably get moved into the 40g cory tank as I have no surface fish in there, and the 29g now has the 12 new marble hatchets.

That look very good indeed, nice work. Yes, a longer strip light. On the plants, I would not bother with Cabomba, this needs strong light, I have tried it in various tanks and it never lasts very long. Dwarf hairgrass might have a similar issue. The chain swords are better with moderate lighting. There are crypts too, some are a nice reddish-brown. For floating, Water Sprite is ideal here; my pygmies are frequently up in the root masses, there is quite a lot of natural micro-critters in these and they feed on them. Frogbit would be OK if no WS, and a stem plant like pennywort left floating can be effective. You want good shade from floating plants, it does make quite a difference to cories.
Thank you! I am getting some Indian Almond leaves in the hope of having some tannins in the water. I saw your blackwater tank on the TOTM, it is gorgeous!

Ok, I will skip the dwarf hairgrass and cabomba. I have both water sprite and pennywort I can let float. I have been looking for a nice red plant to add some color and variety in all that green. I have tried red ludwigia, and will look into crypts.

As for fish, I do not advise bettas, female or male. Small fish...I have Paracheirodon simulans, Nannostomus eques, Hyphessobrycon amandae, and Carnegiella strigata groups in with my pygmies. This blackwater tank happens to be pictured in this month's TOTM contest. All these fish are blackwater, so share environmental requirements, and they are all very peaceful. The pencilfish do "spar" among themselves, I have four left from the original group some 7 years ago and will get more if I ever see them, and intend getting some "new blood" in pygmy cories too. The pencils will probably get moved into the 40g cory tank as I have no surface fish in there, and the 29g now has the 12 new marble hatchets.
Ok, so no betta. Is this because of their potentially and most often aggressive nature? I do quite like the marbled hatchetfish and green neons, and have looked into them in the past. I will look into them some more, thank you!

@Byron

Why are hybrid fish such a big deal to you?

We need to be clear as to what hybrid and hybridization mean. We are not talking about varieties of livebearers, or selective breeding to obtain varieties as with the gourami Trichopodus trichopterus. But we are talking about distinct species being forced into hybridization to create a new distinct species.

The scientific community does not support nor agree with such hybridization. No responsible aquarist in this hobby should encourage hybridization or be complacent about it. As a race we have done more than enough to destroy this planet, there is no point in furthering this destruction.

The "animal rights" people would like to end this hobby completely, and people being irresponsible only gives them fuel for their fire.

Corydoras species were the primary issue here, so Ian Fuller's explanation covers it; Ian established and owns CorydorasWorld which is the prime source of reliable information on the Corydoradinae. He has spent over 50 years investigating and collecting species of Corydoras, and there are very few with more knowledge on the subject.

In nature some species do occasionally cross, especially at a time when severe conditions bring species together that would not normally be found in the same place. This is known in science as speciating. In the Hobby the species would have to be purposely put together and that would create unnatural crosses, and then we would end up with these hybrids expanding into the hobby and ultimately spoiling the two crossed species.​
This page was originally set up to compliment the Corydorasworld.com website, and promote the keeping, breeding and well being of Corydoradinae Catfishes, with a view to maintaining and establishing species that maybe/are endangered in the wild. There are probably in excess of 300 naturally occurring Corydoradinae species, many of which are in danger of becoming extinct in their natural homes and I would like to see efforts being made to preserve these species. I realize that it will be an almost impossible task to try and reinstate aquarium bred specimens back into their natural homes, mainly because these are being or have been destroyed. It is possible however to maintain these species in aquaria and that is what I would like to see. To this end a new data base of registered keepers/breeders has been established on the web site.​
A post has been made showing and promoting hybridization of Corydoradinae species. This is something that I am 100% against and therefore I will in future delete any such posts that promote this activity.​

@Byron
Okay I understand THAT you are against it. My question is WHY. I don't really see a big deal and just want to understand a bit better. Many people stand firmly against things - such as ANTI VAXXERS. It doesn't necessarily mean that their stance makes any real sense or has any real purpose. I'm not saying this is such a case, I'm just trying to understand why it's such a major deal to certain groups.

While I agree with @Byron on this issue, to play devil's advocate, no-one seems to see the harm in doing the same thing various kinds of Cichlids and Livebearers. Though I suspect that will be the point that @Byron will make, do wild guppies still exist for instance, or do we just have global feral populations of escaped mutts creating havoc in local ecosystems?

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back