need to know

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

nightlife20

Gettin back into it all after 4 yrs off
Reaction score
if the plec i got yesterday is realy a bristle nose plec.

he aint got no bristles atm... hes roughly about half an inch long... yellowish/creamy spots all over... light belly

ill try an get a pick of him, hes sooooo cute :wub:

**edit**

ok taken pic here it is
sorry for crappyness taken with phone cam as i havnt got my software on me comp for me digicam

post-22-1081266768.jpg

I am far from a pleco expert but i think the bristles do not appear until they mature and i think only the males develop the bristles. Might be dead wrong but i think i read that somewhere.

i agree with wetwetwet, they wont get bristles for a while, the females will get some bristles but not much though. Half an inch long............give the little one a chance :D

it was sold to me as a bristlenose pleco i got it yesterday for £3 wich i thinks a bargin... but with it being a new lfs to me (had mega fall out with my old lfs because they have let there standards fall imo, and are moving more into reptile side of it)i didnt know weather to belive my eyese, when i saw it in his platie tank an saw the price i had to have (also need a plec for my 3ft tank lol)

i nearly had another impulse buy as well.... walking catfish or somthin like that?? they stand upright in midair and look so wicked... but i was told i wouldnt have any other fish left in me tank :( non-community fish or somthin..

Regarding the walking catfish...

Why they're called walking catfish:

An internal feature of the walking catfish that is of considerable note with regard to its ability to traverse short stretches of land is the suprabranchial arborescent organ. An extension of the apparatus that supports the fish's gill filaments, this structure facilitates the uptake of atmospheric oxygen by providing support for a number of gill filaments that would otherwise collapse in the absence of the buoyancy of water. In essence, this accessory air-breathing organ functions much like a lung. The branching appearance of this organ, reminiscent of a small tree, is the basis for the name "arborescent" organ.

Why you don't put them with other fish:

Walking catfish are benthic omnivores, industrious in their search for food. A nocturnal species, walking catfish search the bottom with their barbels vigorously sifting through detritus and soft substrates. A true generalist, walking catfish consume a wide variety of prey, including eggs or larvae of other fishes, small fishes, and a number of invertebrate taxa such as annelids, crustaceans, and insects. Given these somewhat indiscriminate feeding habits, it is not unusual to find a fair amount of detritus or plant matter in the gut this species. In densely populated drying pools, walking catfish are particularly indiscriminate in their choice of prey items, often seizing and consuming a wider variety of prey than what may normally be available.

Why you should never release aquarium fish into the wild:

Outside of its native range, the walking catfish is a demonstrated pest, with the potential to do severe ecological and economic harm. In response, numerous countries have "blacklisted" the walking catfish, including the United States, which has classified all members of the family Clariidae as injurious wildlife, illegal to possess without a federal permit.

In the United States, the history of the non-native population established in southern Florida during the early 1960's is well documented. The spread of the walking catfish from one or perhaps two points of introduction encompassed 20 counties in approximately 10 years; effectively the entire southern peninsula of Florida.

Source:
Florida Museum of Natural History Ichthyology Department

I love the internet.

if the plec i got yesterday is realy a bristle nose plec.

It's sure looks like one (Ancitrus sp. (cf. temminckii)), but... Male gets his bristles usually, not until, it is about 2" long. And if he is a she, she doesn't get bristles like male does.

Most reactions

Back