Need To Know About Bacteria

fishlover500

Fish Crazy
Joined
Jul 31, 2008
Messages
335
Reaction score
0
Points
0
I left my filter off for about 2-3 hours. :angry: Are all the bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrites and nitrites to nitrates dead? :crazy:

Will I have to re cycle? :shout: or will I have enough bacteria in the substrate to keep the tank going? :hyper:
 
I think you might get away with it as it was only off for about 3 hours max
 
I left my filter off for about 2-3 hours. :angry: Are all the bacteria that convert ammonia into nitrites and nitrites to nitrates dead? :crazy:

Will I have to re cycle? :shout: or will I have enough bacteria in the substrate to keep the tank going? :hyper:


should be fine, just check levels, u may get a mini cyle so keep an ye out for that
 
Hi, should be ok.....if you were cycled before then a water test in the morning should show if anything serious has happened :good:
 
Should be no problem as long as the media was kept wet. Fast for 24 hours, feed lightly for the next week to be on the safe side.
 
I seem to recall bignose posting a study which indicated something like a 2% per hour (or was it 8% per day? I forget the exact amount, but know it was very low) mortality rate provided they are wet and have some oxygen present. Whilst the ammonia- and nitrite-oxidising bacteria are some of the slowest bacteria to multiply and grow in colony size, it also appears they are some of the slower ones when it comes to dying.

If the bacteria dry out, however, then their survival time tends to drop drastically.
 

Most reactions

Back
Top