Need Tinfoil Barb Help Expert

Faythee

Fish Herder
Joined
Oct 30, 2007
Messages
1,039
Reaction score
1
Points
0
Location
Florida, USA
I bought these 3 little, LOL, Tinfoils in Jan. for my 75 gal. tank with Severums. Every day they looked like they grew overnite ! My dilemma is figuring out whether thet are regular or Red Tails. I have been measuring them and the growth has finally seemed to come to a stand still at 5 inches over the past six weeks or so. I need to get another tank for them and am looking at a 55 gal., however if they are regular I'm not sure if that will even be big enough.

TIN1.jpg


What do ya think ??????
 
Im pretty sure tin foils grow in comparable sizes to Balas (12-14") and need to be in shoals so a large tank is needed. I would say 90 to 125 would preferable as they are active swimmers as well and need space to swim and dart when startled.

Ox :good:
 
Yes I know. That is why I am hoping they are Red-Tail which only grow to 7"

I found this:
The Red-tail Tinfoil Barb can be confused with other members of its genus, especially the almost identical Tinfoil Barb Barbonymus schwanenfeldii. Though both these tinfoil barbs have a black marking on their dorsal fin only the Tinfoil Barb has red on this fin. The Red-tail Tinfoil Barb also is also missing black submarginal lines on the caudal fin.

Which is the caudal fin ?
 
the caudal fin is the tail fin
is there a feint black line in the tail fin? if not they are Barbonymus altus, aka the smaller red-tail tinfoil as opposed to Barbonymus schwanenfeldii


true Tinfoil
Barbonymusschwanenfeldii.jpg
 
I don't really see black lines on the tail fin, but a bit grayinsh right along where that pic shows.

One of them appears to be getting some red on the dorsal.

Oh poo !
 

Most reactions

Back
Top