The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

Barry Tetra

Fish Aficionado
Pet of the Month 🎖️
Reaction score
I need an article to read about the followings;
(please send me the link, not the normal google article but the Textbook kind)

1. GH, KH and why it's nescessary?
2. Beneficial Bacteria doesn't live in water but in substrate and filter
3. Blackwater wild discus stuff???
4. Blackwater Biotope?

@Colin_T @AbbeysDad

I can't help, I don't have any books or magazines left. Although there might be some info in Baensch's Atlas volume 1

I can't help, I don't have any books or magazines left. Although there might be some info in Baensch's Atlas volume 1
Is there any book you can recommended as I hate to read it from online, it hurts my eyes and books are more interesting tbh.

I wanted to know about wwater chemistry and biotope aquarium build

Baensch's Atlas vol 1 is a book that has water chemistry, diseases, plants, and a heap of other stuff. Not sure if it has biotopes coz its been yrs since I looked in my book.

Do you think this book is worth it for €100?
really expensive :huh: @Colin_T

If not where can I learn about biotope? It’s really hard to find a natural aquarium type book as all of them I’ve found in the library or bookstore are the planted one by Amano

And lastly, Online book store are really expensive, it’s not the book that is expensive, it’s the shipping fees ($40 for shipping, seriously?!)

Last edited:
I'm not sure if it's worth 100 euros or whatever it is. I had books that cost $500+ each and I thought they were worth the money because they had the information I wanted. However, the biotope book might be mainly pictures and might not have much information. If that is the case then no it's not worth that much. But if it has lots of information about biotopes, then it is probably worth it.

-------------------
Most waterways are the same all around the world. The only difference is the species of fishes and plants in them.

Some waterways have a thick layer of silt on the bottom, with brown tannin stained water, various grasses growing along the banks and trees overhanging the water in some areas. There might be driftwood from tree branches that have fallen into the river and that is about it.

Other waterways might have faster flowing water and little to no silt. There will be sand on the bottom and maybe rocks and driftwood. The water could be clear or tannin stained.

Most waterways have a reasonably shallow water depth but there are deeper pools along the length of the river.

There are lakes, which can be shallow or deep (or both) and have sand, silt or rocks on the bottom.

Floodplains are low lying areas that dry out in summer and fill up during the wet season. They have grasses and plants in them and many of the plants die when the water dries up but their seeds germinate and sprout when it rains. Some floodplains will become a mass of water plants during the wet season and you literally can't move through them because there are so many plants in the water. These areas are usually home to frogs and various aquatic crustaceans and insects they breed up while there is water, then they die but leave dormant eggs behind, and these hatch the following wet season.

--------------------
If you want to know about biotopes, the easiest way is to go out and find a creek or river and follow it from one end to the other. That's what I used to do. Drive to a river or creek out in the country and put my waders (big plastic/ rubber overalls with boots) on and walk up the creek. I had a net and bucket with me and used to sample weed beds as I walked along. They all fall into the categories listed above.

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Members online

Back