Need Some New Bottom Feeders.

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

VaegaVic

Fish Addict
Reaction score
My long finned lyretail bristlenose named Judy died this morning.
Her and her "husband" Richard always got along well but never bred.

I'm thinking about selling Richard on now as he just seems to be sulking all day long without his Mrs and I think perhaps a change in tank (something bigger) would do him good, something with a large algae supply that my pristine tanks don't have.

Anyway, if I did this, I would be in need of some new bottom feeders, possibly a replacement type of plec, but not sure on that one.

Any suggestions?
The tank in question is 64L.
I would ideally like to avoid smaller species such as cories as I can never seem to keep them as long as I would like to. I also don't want to overpopulate this tank, so shoalers in general are out of the question, unless they're odd like Kuhlie loaches.

Main points:
- Either singular or in a small group.
- Nothing massive
- Nothing that will draw focus from my hybrid fish.
- Already have an army of snails.
- Ideally diurnal.

Open to all suggestions, just don't be offended if I say no without reason.

Seems like you answered your own question... kuhli loaches small group 4-5.
Shrimp?

See, now I love Kuhli's when they are small, but cannot stand the adults. Anyone know of a magical growth restricting food?
And as for shrimp, I've given red cherries a try before and they always seems to be eaten, one by one. The longest time i've had one is 8 months, but then even she was eaten. Anything larger than Cherries does slightly freak me out, don't get me wrong, I love all fish/inverts, but for someone with arachnophobia, long legs and many of them = trouble.

What about a group of 5 Otos?

I did have otos before and thought they were fantastic little characters, but they won't sit well in this new scape.

Now I've been scouring the net and I like the look of some cyprinids, particularly the Red tailed shark. Obviously my tank is currently too small for an adult, but next year the tank will be upgraded to a 450L and if that falls through, I could always sell him on anyway.
Is there anything in that similar shape that doesn't get massive?

I'm talking RTBS, Flying Fox, Garra shapes.

Hmm, I normally would have suggested the Botia striata but you have snails? Maybe not a good idea unless you want all your snails munched :look:

Hmm, I normally would have suggested the Botia striata but you have snails? Maybe not a good idea unless you want all your snails munched :look:

Yea I have a few snails, 4 different species worth.
Tank's spotless thanks to them and large water changes.

I do love them, so rather not have anything from the loach family if possible.

64 litres is too small for most loaches anyway since you need to keep them in a group. I guess another small plec is your only option since you don't want corydoras, loaches or shrimp.

I was just thinking about one option we haven't talked about yet. What about a small synodontis? Personally I love the upside down catfish. Downside of synodontis is that they are mostly night fish.

What about an Asian Stone Catfish/Hara jerdoni?

Fantastic idea, lovely looking fish, I've never seen one in my area or online stockists, but I shall keep an eye out.

64 litres is too small for most loaches anyway since you need to keep them in a group. I guess another small plec is your only option since you don't want corydoras, loaches or shrimp.

I was just thinking about one option we haven't talked about yet. What about a small synodontis? Personally I love the upside down catfish. Downside of synodontis is that they are mostly night fish.

I am very intrigued, what would you suggest?

There are several microsynodontis species such as batessi or polli. To make it easier I have made a selection of catfish that stay small, until around 5 cm.

Have a look at this page: http://www.planetcatfish.com/catelog/sizes.php?min=30.75&max=51.25. Of course there are also several corydoras included but you simply skip these.

If you fancy something different, how about a group of Oxyropsis acutirostra, sometimes known as "Tiger Otos"? They grow to about 6cm and look very similar to my Hypoptopoma. After the price dropped in the last two days to £7.49 each, I'm now getting tempted myself...
http://cgi.ebay.co.u...e=STRK:MEWAX:IT

Another leftfield suggestion for you to refuse is the small Tanganyikan catfish, dependent on whether your water will suit them plus your current fish. Lophiobagrus and Phyllonemus families are what I speak of, I'm still trying to ID my one (I think its P. brevispinnnis), some of them are quite social and mouthbrooders!

As an eBay Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back