Need Some Logic

Super Dude

Fish Crazy
Joined
Feb 15, 2009
Messages
206
Reaction score
0
Points
0
i currently got a 10 gal in the corner of my room. i'm shortly gonna upgrade to a 30 gal with better lighting and CO2, and nicer stand. The new tank needs to occupy the space where the current one is.

I'm kinda dum-dum, and I can't figure out what order to do things, assuming the new tank needs to be cycled and CO2 stabilised, and the fishies need somewhere to hang out during the switch. I obviously can't just move the tanks with water and decorations in them, as I am not Chuck Norris. :lol:

Could someone who has done this before, or has more noodle power than me give me step-bystep directions on how to do this?

Thanks. :P
 
Well (and I didn't have CO2 on but here goes) this is what I did when the same situation arose for me. I took enough water out of the smaller tank, then went fishing and put the fish into a large bucket along with the filter. I then emptied the old tank into the new one and moved it just far enough out of the way to get the new tank in. I then filled the new tank with new dechlorinated water at the right temp, hooked up the filter from the old tank and then put the fish back in.
 
the important thing is that the old filter must run alongside the new filter for a couple of weeks.
if you cannot do that, just put the media from your current filter in the new filter. this will allow for all the bacteria required to detoxify the water to be saved.

however, when you do this, make sure you only keep your current fish. every week, add a little but more fish until fully stocked. this will give the bacteria a chance to colonize and support the new bioload
 
so the old filter runs with the new one for a few weeks with or without fish?

i got no other tank to put them in. however, it would be a VERY light stocking in the 30 gal. (4 zebra danios/2 pitbull plecos)
 

Most reactions

Back
Top