Need opinions

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

matthew12098

Reaction score
I'm considering getting a new fisht ank for my 3 guppies. I'm currently looking at getting the Aqua One Focus 36 Aquarium. https://www.petstock.co.nz/product/fish/aqua-one-focus-36-glass-aquarium-36l-black/71192
It is about the biggest I can get for my desk at this stage. Also, I am currently using mixed gravel of a range of sizes, but i'm considering using sand for this tank. I have a few questions regarding this aquarium & using sand rather than gravel:

How many guppies would I be able to fit in this
Would the sand effect my plants and the growth of them? As I am planning to have this tank moderately-heavily planted with a few larger rocks.
Would the sand also effect my fertilizer & dosage size? (Seachem Flourish)
Is sand higher maintenance than gravel?

Thanks in advance

I'm considering getting a new fisht ank for my 3 guppies. I'm currently looking at getting the Aqua One Focus 36 Aquarium. https://www.petstock.co.nz/product/fish/aqua-one-focus-36-glass-aquarium-36l-black/71192
It is about the biggest I can get for my desk at this stage. Also, I am currently using mixed gravel of a range of sizes, but i'm considering using sand for this tank. I have a few questions regarding this aquarium & using sand rather than gravel:

How many guppies would I be able to fit in this
Would the sand effect my plants and the growth of them? As I am planning to have this tank moderately-heavily planted with a few larger rocks.
Would the sand also effect my fertilizer & dosage size? (Seachem Flourish)
Is sand higher maintenance than gravel?

Thanks in advance
@AdoraBelle Dearheart knows what's going on with guppies, I don't. That being said, plants excel in sand, far better than gravel IMO. In regards to fert, no it stays the same and sand is the exact same as gravel, maintenance wise.

I agree with @HoldenOn, I switched one of my planted tanks from gravel to sand and have not noticed any thing different as far as my plants are concerned. How big is the tank you are looking at? the link did not work for me.

I agree with @HoldenOn, I switched one of my planted tanks from gravel to sand and have not noticed any thing different as far as my plants are concerned. How big is the tank you are looking at? the link did not work for me.
It's a 36L aquarium (About 10 gallons), 50cm Length, 25cm Depth & 34cm Height (As advertised)

Attachments

• focus 36.JPG
    focus 36.JPG
    43.8 KB · Views: 116
I have a 29 gallon planted guppy/platy tank. Currently there are about 10 adult guppies, 1 adult platy and 20 or so guppy fry of various sizes in it.

Attachments

• IMG_20200703_212136518.jpg
    IMG_20200703_212136518.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 116
I started using sand rather than gravel last year and I like it. I prefer the look. The only drawbacks are that you tend to siphon out a few grains with water changes and when I feed Grindal worms they burrow right away when I feed too many. A bit closer attention to things solved that for me. So, no real downside.

Awesome. Thank you all for the advice :thumbs:. I was hoping i'd be able to fit 5 or 6 guppies in this tank but 3-4 will be ok.
You could probably manage 5-6 endlers, they're a bit smaller than regular guppies. Especially if it's well filtered, well planted and you're on top of maintenance.

I'd start off with four males, and see how it goes. If maintenance is still easy and they're doing okay, maybe add a fifth and sixth, but aim for understocked rather than overstocked, it makes life much easier and is less stressful for the fish.

Also make sure to only get males guppies. If you get females, even if you only bought females, the chances that they're already gravid are high, and you don't want to be breeding in a ten gallon if you don't have space for spare tanks. Guppies are also known as The Million Fish for a reason!

You say you already have 3 guppies?

Is that correct? if so then would stick with the 3 guppies you already have, no more as they are slightly larger than endlers and require the swimming length of tank.

If no guppies already then I would agree, that endlers will be fine in this tank, 3-5 max, all males.

The males are usually the more colourful than females tbh anyway, so win win in regards to no breeding occurring and colours ;)

If you want a little more life in the tank then you might consider adding a few RCS and perhaps a nerite snail if you like those.

Live planted would be nicer as well.

Ah sorry, I missed the fact that you already had three guppies. (male, I assume?)

Yeah, I wouldn't go above maybe four male guppies then. It's nine and a half gallons, but bear in mind that it's only that volume if filled right to the brim, and otherwise empty... you have to account for displacement from substrate, hardscape, plants etc, and if you keep the waterline any lower because of the filter or anything, you're looking at more like 8 - 8.5 gallons of water. You don't want to overstock eight gallons.

Once it's heavily planted and has been established and stable for a while, I also recommend neocaridina shrimp, I keep them with guppies, and lots of shrimplets survived due to the heavy plant cover, and they add a wonderful dimension to the tank and lots of activity, while also having very little bioload - perfect for a small tank.

I also overfilter my tanks and plant heavily, so I might get away with stocking heavier than others might and overestimate as a result. Guppies do appreciate some swimming space.

You say you already have 3 guppies?

Is that correct? if so then would stick with the 3 guppies you already have, no more as they are slightly larger than endlers and require the swimming length of tank.

If no guppies already then I would agree, that endlers will be fine in this tank, 3-5 max, all males.

The males are usually the more colourful than females tbh anyway, so win win in regards to no breeding occurring and colours ;)

If you want a little more life in the tank then you might consider adding a few RCS and perhaps a nerite snail if you like those.

Live planted would be nicer as well.
Ah sorry, I missed the fact that you already had three guppies. (male, I assume?)

Yeah, I wouldn't go above maybe four male guppies then. It's nine and a half gallons, but bear in mind that it's only that volume if filled right to the brim, and otherwise empty... you have to account for displacement from substrate, hardscape, plants etc, and if you keep the waterline any lower because of the filter or anything, you're looking at more like 8 - 8.5 gallons of water. You don't want to overstock eight gallons.

Once it's heavily planted and has been established and stable for a while, I also recommend neocaridina shrimp, I keep them with guppies, and lots of shrimplets survived due to the heavy plant cover, and they add a wonderful dimension to the tank and lots of activity, while also having very little bioload - perfect for a small tank.

I also overfilter my tanks and plant heavily, so I might get away with stocking heavier than others might and overestimate as a result. Guppies do appreciate some swimming space.
My current tank is heavily planted, basically a wall of plants at the back of the tank with the occasional amazon sword at the foreground. I have 2 females and a male, but have got plenty of tanks that the babies can go in once they have grown up if I do not sell them (100L, 60L, 2x 30L, 9L - their grow out tank). I think that I have decided against getting this tank fot the meantime, but maybe in the near future I will buy it.:good:

Thank you all for your advice!

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back