Need opinions on Filter Change please

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

I have plants and I use a sponge filter for my snails and its useless. Opted for the fluval AquaClear 30 for now. Amazing how filthy snails are ?
A sponge filter (air-powered) is not for mechanical removal filtration (aka visible detritus), it provides a home for beneficial bacteria to break-down ammonia :)

The AquaClear30 will likely have way to fast of an output for the 10gal, unless you hang it on the short-side (so the flow goes out/along the long-side). I would look for filter baffle/flow shields (most are DIY), just in case :)

Using sponge/foam filter 'inserts' on a HOB, gives you the benefits of both mechanical and biological filtration :) Simply rinse/squeeze the inserts in removed water from the aquarium during a "given" monthly water change (never rinse under the tap, if local water is chlorinated). Buy once and never buy again (barring an "incident")!
This video describes with visuals what we've done in our aquariums since 2015!! (not my vid), the difference is really unbelievable!

Last edited:
A sponge filter (air-powered) is not for mechanical removal filtration (aka visible detritus), it provides a home for beneficial bacteria to break-down ammonia :)

The AquaClear30 will likely have way to fast of an output for the 10gal, unless you hang it on the short-side (so the flow goes out/along the long-side). I would look for filter baffle/flow shields (most are DIY), just in case :)

Using sponge/foam filter 'inserts' on a HOB, gives you the benefits of both mechanical and biological filtration :) Simply rinse/squeeze the inserts in removed water from the aquarium during a "given" monthly water change (never rinse under the tap, if local water is chlorinated). Buy once and never buy again (barring an "incident")!
This video describes with visuals what we've done in our aquariums since 2015!! (not my vid), the difference is really unbelievable!
Wow! Great video ???

Most reactions

trending

Back