Need opinions on Filter Change please

FishForums.net Pet of the Month
🐶 POTM Poll is Open! 🦎 Click here to Vote! 🐰

FloridaChick

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
So I wanted a hob filter since I only have a 10 gallon tank and my Tetra filter is taking up so much room. I ordered an AquaClear for up to 20 gallons but honestly this internal filter has been great, my bettas love resting on it and I love the waterfall sound.
Do you think I should switch???

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-145746_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-145746_eBay.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 58
  • Screenshot_20210424-145519_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-145519_Chrome.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 61
  • 20210424_145546.jpg
    20210424_145546.jpg
    172.5 KB · Views: 54
Will the HOB have too strong a flow? There are ways to 'baffle' the output, if it causes too much current.

Side tip: Which ever filter you go with, (if you aren't already), be sure to switch to or use a rinse-able sponge media :) It makes fish & keeper SO much happier in the long run!

Yes, I'd switch personally. External filters are... Fun - yeah. Let's say fun - to clean and I'd say they're generally easier to maintain. They're more expensive of course, but don't wrack up nearly as much when you include the money spent on new cartridges for those Tetra filters. They're just a shameless money grab imho.

Plus it doesn't take up as much space. You can always get a spray bar with the filter to replicate the waterfall noise. Though it's more of a gentle, rainy spray than a waterfall. An airstone would be nice too, if you don't already have one.

I'd go for it. The bettas will find a new place to rest on.

Yes, I'd switch personally. External filters are... Fun - yeah. Let's say fun - to clean and I'd say they're generally easier to maintain. They're more expensive of course, but don't wrack up nearly as much when you include the money spent on new cartridges for those Tetra filters. They're just a shameless money grab imho.

Plus it doesn't take up as much space. You can always get a spray bar with the filter to replicate the waterfall noise. Though it's more of a gentle, rainy spray than a waterfall. An airstone would be nice too, if you don't already have one.

Thank you so much! I was really perplexed ????

Thank you! After I ordered I wasn't sure ? I have a small marina hob in my smaller tank and its not very good but I just ordered filters so that should help. These guys are going to miss it!

Attachments

• 20210424_161008.jpg
    20210424_161008.jpg
    150.8 KB · Views: 55
After I ordered I wasn't sure ? I have a small marina hob in my smaller tank and its not very good but I just ordered filters so that should help. These guys are going to miss it!
I would also suggest to get an intake sponge filter (pre-filter) to protect fins from "suction" damage, it also collects missed food bits, that our fish love to clean off :D

Thank you so much! I was really perplexed ????

Thank you! After I ordered I wasn't sure ? I have a small marina hob in my smaller tank and its not very good but I just ordered filters so that should help. These guys are going to miss it!
Awwh, I'm sure they'll manage!

What filter are you planning on getting? Sorry if I'm missing a name, I'm not the greatest reader lol.

My ~45G uses an aquamanta EFX 400 and my 14G uses an EFX 200. Both are very good and I'd definitely recommend them. Not sure if they're sold in the US though...

Awwh, I'm sure they'll manage!

What filter are you planning on getting? Sorry if I'm missing a name, I'm not the greatest reader lol.

My ~45G uses an aquamanta EFX 400 and my 14G uses an EFX 200. Both are very good and I'd definitely recommend them. Not sure if they're sold in the US though...
AquaClear powerhead water pump up to 20 gallons, that a complete filter isn't it? Pic below.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210424-145519_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210424-145519_Chrome.jpg
    101.4 KB · Views: 57
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Do you prefer to shop online? (Small HOB filters aren't expensive) :)

Do you only have Betta in the 10gal, or other fish too?

If you only have the Betta (or divided Bettas), this already has the sponge filter media I was referring to :)
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B082JJJL75/?tag=ff0d01-20
View attachment 135339
Can I order something so I can use whatever I bought? I don't like returning stuff. I use ebay, bezos is rich enough and wants to pollute other planets ?
I actually hate to say, I have 6 tetras, 3 Loaches, 6 pygmy corys, 4 mystery snails and a sorority ?

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
People seem to forget the needs of the fish when considering filters...if you consider the natural habitat of Betta splendens, you will find it is very still water, ponds, ditches, that even dry up. They do not appreciate water movement. In a 10g, with a single male Betta, a sponge filter is all you need, and if it were me I might not even have that. With good floating plants, the water will be pristine. But a single sponge will provide a slight movement through the tank and that is not bad.

A 10g tank is not much space for fish, and the suitable species are all quiet water. I would not go above a single sponge filter, with plants.

Can I order something so I can use whatever I bought? I don't like returning stuff. I use ebay, bezos is rich enough and wants to pollute other planets ?
I actually hate to say, I have 6 tetras, 3 Loaches, 6 pygmy corys, 4 mystery snails and a sorority ?
Nothing wrong with that, I wasn't sure if price was a concern or not :)

Unfortunately the powerhead will only move water around, I'm sure someone has figured out how to use it as a filter pump, but it would require quite a bit of DIY (if it's even possible)

I would definitely suggest getting 2 small HOB (hang on back) filters, with that level of stocking, you want MORE water being filtered of ammonia, whenever possible :) I would also suggest to put the current filter media (in pieces) into the new filters, as there should be beneficial bacteria on that filter, which will jump-start your new filter(s).

People seem to forget the needs of the fish when considering filters...if you consider the natural habitat of Betta splendens, you will find it is very still water, ponds, ditches, that even dry up. They do not appreciate water movement. In a 10g, with a single male Betta, a sponge filter is all you need, and if it were me I might not even have that. With good floating plants, the water will be pristine. But a single sponge will provide a slight movement through the tank and that is not bad.

A 10g tank is not much space for fish, and the suitable species are all quiet water. I would not go above a single sponge filter, with plants.
Thank you so much for your feedback! ?
Nothing wrong with that, I wasn't sure if price was a concern or not :)

Unfortunately the powerhead will only move water around, I'm sure someone has figured out how to use it as a filter pump, but it would require quite a bit of DIY (if it's even possible)

I would definitely suggest getting 2 small HOB (hang on back) filters, with that level of stocking, you want MORE water being filtered of ammonia, whenever possible :) I would also suggest to put the current filter media (in pieces) into the new filters, as there should be beneficial bacteria on that filter, which will jump-start your new filter(s).
???Thanks!

I have plants and I use a sponge filter for my snails and its useless. Opted for the fluval AquaClear 30 for now. Amazing how filthy snails are ?

Most reactions

trending

Back