Need more green

April FOTM Photo Contest Starts Now!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to enter! 🏆

Ziawhit

Reaction score
Morning All, - Looking for some inspirartion. I feel this tank needs a bit more green. Had tanks in the past and just got back into it. Just coming to the end of a fishless cycle. Tank is a Fluval Roma 200, with Aquasky 2 LED light 21w 1600 lummens. Sand substrate. What ever i get needs to be simple and easy to grow. Looking for something to stick or have growing up the wood maybe. Really don't know my aqaurium plants. Not planning on getting co2. I had plants in previous tank but never did much then died off.. Is there anything that will grow in carpet fashion across the sand.? , and maybe something that grows tall at the back to help hide the wall .?? - not looking to buy new lights or Co2 so plants suitable for the set up i have. Don't mind buy fertilizer or tabs etc. - if this works well then may invest at a later date.
Really no idea - so any pics / suggestions and advice appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• tank pic 2 - feb 2021.jpg
    tank pic 2 - feb 2021.jpg
    351.9 KB · Views: 82
My favourite fast growing plant is limnophila sessiflora which gets nice and tall and grows pretty quickly and easily. If you want carpet type plants easy grass types like dwarf sag or helanthium teneleum but it will take a while to fully spread. Cryptocorynes are a nice plant for sand and there are a broad range of species of all kinds of colours and sizes it takes a month for them to settle in and won’t do much before then but once established they will grow really well.

I’d recommend a liquid fertiliser but you won’t need much at all and you could add some root tabs under the crypts.

I've just bought exactly the same bit of tubing decor :)

Years ago every plant I put in my tank died. Then I discovered I could grow Java fern - you have plenty wood it could be attached to. I progressed on to anubias and bolbitis on more decor. I used hornwort wound through the branches of wood like the piece on the left in your tank. In the end I had to get rid of the hornwort as it grew and grew and began to strangle the other plants.
I've had floating plants - Salvinia was great till it all died during a heatwave. Then I had water sprite which threatened to take over; now I have Amazon frogbit.
None of these plants were rooted in the substrate and they were fed with liquid fertiliser.

A few months ago I cautiously bought a crypt which is planted in the substrate. It grew and thrived! I now have 8 different crypts, though some have only been in there a week. I have some root tabs for the crypts. Since I have floating plants cutting down the light at the bottom of the tank I chose those species which don't need a lot of light.

If I can do this, you can :) Plants attached to decor are easy, if slow growing. Floating plants are great - when they grow too much you just remove some. And now I've discovered crypts!

Most reactions

trending

Staff online

Back