Need Instant Help With Malawi Cichlid!

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

BethsMalawiCichlids

Mostly New Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone

I'm new to keeping Malawi Cichlids. Had the 60l tank set up for about a month and 4 beautiful fish in for a week. One of them is swimming on its side with what I can best describe as a 'scraped side' and looks like its poor fins been attacked. I have absolutely no idea what to do!!

Poorly one is the guy on the right

Need help ASAP!!

Thank you :)

I'm afraid I have bad news for you
sad.png

A 60l tank is far too small for Malawis. Most of them are pretty aggressive, so they need to be crowded, or overstocked, to spread the bullying.

You need a four foot/200l tank, as a minimum.

All you can do is separate the fish the best you can
confused.gif

what are the names of the fish and are they same size and sexes please?

I was advised by Pets At Home (their stockists are a shop slightly too far to travel by foot - with the fish in mind) that 4 for now would be ok and then when they're happily in after a couple of weeks bump it up to 8/9. I was going to go this week.

So far I've done as I've been told. Searched a lot (I know a bigger tank is better but after being advised it was ok I went along with the purchase)

I have checked the PH and its reading above 7.6 - again as I was told. I have stress coat and zyme, will either of these help?
I thought if there'd be any bullying it'd be on the slightly smaller one of the 4!

Do not fully trust any advice from lfs, do your homework first. 

I researched about Malawi tanks as my tap water is pretty much perfect for this and considered this but I have a 90l tank, thats too small also. Best with at least 200litres as mentioned above.

Good luck 
good.gif

I thought that too but was very surprised when 2 different staff on separate occasions gave me extensive knowledge of them. One of them being a Cichlid keeper himself.

The most I can do is put in in a bowl with stress coat in. Or leave him in the tank and add stress coat. What is my best option?

Forget the stress coat, all the fish needs is good, clean water and to be away from the aggressor, although the aggressor will probably just move on to one of the other fish
confused.gif

What types of fish have you got at the moment in that malawi setup?

Also the ratio of males to females?

Doubt stress coat will do much at the moment.

with malawis you are better buying fry or young fish, growing them on yourself and size sometimes dosent matter as some more aggressive than others I currently have them in a 3 ft tank but they will be going in a 4x2x2 when older

if they are same kind males usually fight for females they are also best kept overcrowded so they can develop too much territory

good luck

I thought he was the most aggressive to be honest.

Wasn't told on sex. Just 4 malawis - I'm aware that its a species only tank.
What do I look for to differentiate between make and female?

do you know what kind they are? some have egg spots and others its the shape of fins

One is grey with black 'stripes along its body with a yellow belly.
One is bright yellow.
One its light blue with darker blue 'almost stripes' down its body.

The one suffering is a greeny yellow colour with large darker colourings. It's body is a different shape to the other 3 being thinner more like how you would draw a single line fish as Opposed to having similar body shape to a koi carp.

Sorry for the awful description - just going by what I can see!

Perhaps if you can provide some pictures, that would help a lot to identify them a bit easier. 
photo.gif

I tried but it won't let me :/

After looking closely the scales seem to be fine but the pectoral fins look as if they've been completely nipped off, hence the struggle with swimming. Cichlids are nasty fish... Will follow advise and overstock (but not too much of course) When the fish become too large they will be rehomed.
Hopefully this will avoid it happening again, for now ill have to hope the little guy gets better. He's been separated from what I assume to be the aggressors.

Most reactions

trending

Back