Need help

The April FOTM Contest Poll is open!
FishForums.net Fish of the Month
🏆 Click to vote! 🏆

amanando7510

Reaction score
I have a 6.5gal tank I'm going to use to breed shrimp. I have java moss some moss balls and places they can hide. But I think I made a fatal mistake when I ordered the substrate. I ordered nature's ocean aragonite sand. The reason I ordered is because I swear on the page it said can be used for tropical marine and brackish. Should I wash it out when I get it or send it back?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G925A using Tapatalk

What was your purpose for buying this particular type of sand? For decorative purposes or to alter water parameters?

What are your tap water parameters?

What species of shrimp do you intend to breed?

What was your purpose for buying this particular type of sand? For decorative purposes or to alter water parameters?

What are your tap water parameters?

What species of shrimp do you intend to breed?
Cherry and blue dream split tank. My water comes out almost great a little acidic. Decorative yes also since I was reading it's good since I wouldn't have to cycle the tank. I also wanted to bring up the ph to around 7 since I read the shrimp breed better around there. My ph is always around 6.1

I would be inclined to send it back and get ordinary sand. But I would avoid those made by Nature's ocean as they all appear to be coated with acrylic. If you want just sand coloured sand, I would go for play sand. But if you want black sand, I'll leave that to someone else to recommend one. White sand is best avoided - it always looks dirty and the light reflects off it too much for the tank occupants to be comfortable.

It sounds as though you bought Bio Acive Live aragonite which is only for marine tanks. This will not work to cycle freshwater tanks.

Cherry shrimps are fine in water with pH 6.0 to 8.0 and both soft and hard water. Do you know how hard your water is? You should be able to find it somewhere on your water company's website - we need the number and the unit (they could use any one of half a dozen units). if they give something called alkalinity, tell us that as well. Alkalinity is the term water companies use for KH.
To give you an idea, my cherry shrimps thrive in hardness 4.8 German degrees/85 ppm and KH 3 deg/54 ppm and pH 7.5

I would be inclined to send it back and get ordinary sand. But I would avoid those made by Nature's ocean as they all appear to be coated with acrylic. If you want just sand coloured sand, I would go for play sand. But if you want black sand, I'll leave that to someone else to recommend one. White sand is best avoided - it always looks dirty and the light reflects off it too much for the tank occupants to be comfortable.

It sounds as though you bought Bio Acive Live aragonite which is only for marine tanks. This will not work to cycle freshwater tanks.

Cherry shrimps are fine in water with pH 6.0 to 8.0 and both soft and hard water. Do you know how hard your water is? You should be able to find it somewhere on your water company's website - we need the number and the unit (they could use any one of half a dozen units). if they give something called alkalinity, tell us that as well. Alkalinity is the term water companies use for KH.
To give you an idea, my cherry shrimps thrive in hardness 4.8 German degrees/85 ppm and KH 3 deg/54 ppm and pH 7.5
Ok thanks will look into all of that after work

Most reactions

trending

Members online

Back