Need Help!

🐠 May TOTM Voting is Live! 🐠
FishForums.net Tank of the Month!
🏆 Click here to Vote! 🏆

animallover

Fish Fanatic
Reaction score
:unsure: ¿¿How can you tell when your fish are pregnant??
Yesterday I saw a small fish swimming around then a few minutes later it was gone! I think the other fish ate it. I'm not sure if there are other eggs in there or not because I cannot see anything. So....how can you tell?? and then what do you??

hi animallover :D

which of the tanks was that in?

most likely to have been a swordtail baby - and unfortunately livebearer fry are the right size to be eaten by the other fish (and their parents too sometimes)

The female gets very large in the belly area, develops a box like shape, before she drops her babies......this is more noticeable after the first time she has babies, as she matures.

Couple of options - one is to set up a small tank to put the female in to have the babies, then remove her back to the main tank and raise the fry separately. 2nd option is to put her into a breeding net/trap. It's difficult to know when is the right time to put her in there though.......and - it's stressful for the female while she is in the net so she can't stay in there for too long. I don't use nets/traps so one of the others would have more knowledge of them.

sue

It's the second one!
20 Gal.
1 Glass Cat (Spy) = couldn't be
1 Gold algea (Algea) = couldn't be
1 Platinum Khuli Loach (Max) = couldn't be
1 Black sword (Knite) = yes
1 assorted platty (Sunshine) = yes

I always see knite swimming after sunshine, so does that mean sunshine is the female? I always check up on them and I have not noticed anything different with her tummy. How often do swordtails/platties get pregnant?
:huh: I'm so confused!! don't know what to do! :/

Most reactions

Back